Rift - PC

Rift
  • Publisher: Trion Worlds
  • Genre:RPG, MMO
  • Developer: Trion Worlds
  • Release Date:Mar 1, 2011
  • # of Players:9999 players, 9999 online
  • ESRB:T - Teen (Alcohol Reference, Blood, Mild Language, Violence)
  • Platforms:
Game Description:Rift, the graphically stunning online game, is set in a world being torn apart by dimensional “rifts” that tear into the land of Telara, releasing powerful forces that threaten the very existence of the entire universe. Rifts and other dynamic events can be triggered by players, scheduled by the development team, or even occur spontaneously. Dynamic events within Rift can lead to a range of changes across the world, including everything from minor events to dramatic shifts in the game’s landscape and the opening of new areas. Players will connect with hundreds of thousands of other gamers to battle creatures overrunning the world, as well as each other.
G4TV Rating
4 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (36 Ratings)
    4.5 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Rift: End Game Raiding Preview
Article_73643

Rift: End Game Raiding Preview

By Leah Jackson - Posted Feb 18, 2011

RIFT, from developer Trion Worlds, is quickly approaching its March 1 release date, and with the game now in open beta, things are starting to look better than ever for the gorgeous massively multiplayer online role-playing game. If you still aren't familiar with RIFT, check out the preview we did last month where we took a look at the first 20 levels of gameplay. This time around, we got to sit down with RIFT producer Adam Gershowitz as he showed us various aspects of end game raiding.

End game raiding in RIFT comes in both 10 and 20-man flavors, both offering different things. Ten-man exterior raiding can be described as "on-demand Rifting," where a group gathers supplies to form a Raid Rift Lure out in the open world. The way it works is both public and personal. A group opens the Rift tear, and fights the subsequent stages, sub-bosses, and bosses with their group.

What's really interesting about the open world mechanic, however, is that other people can join your raid to help you fight off the baddies. The more people who are helping, the harder the encounter becomes. The way the developers have combated griefing and ninjalooting is that only the people in the group that opened the Rift will receive proper loot, whereas the helpers will just receive some tokens and cash. It’s a refreshingly original concept that lends itself to a lot of cooperative play, as well as a fun end game experience. The more supplies your guild can gather, the more Rift raids you can open, and there's no limit on the amount of times you can open them, just on how many supplies you can farm.

We also saw an interior 20-man raid called Greenscale's Blight (GB). What was particularly cool about this raid was that, even though it took place inside, it was still a dynamic instance. There was a giant maze in the center of a large room, and it changed dramatically as we moved through the raid instance and encountered different bosses. As it stands right now, it's undetermined how the maze will change every single time you enter it, but it's an interesting addition to the game. It allows for a variety of experiences when you don't need a super large space to have a unique raid. Also, these raids work more traditionally and will be on a lockout timer.

Rift

There are five different types of Rift raids that will be available at launch, and then a number of unlockable instanced raids will be released post-launch. The unlockable raids unlock through world events, where the entire server enters a multiday event that, when completed, will open the raid to everyone.

Finally, the raids are not progression based, meaning you don't have to do the 10-man exterior Rift raids in order to try out the 20-man ones. Both raids offer interesting new takes on end game progression, and look fun.

• malania

After reading tons of reviews I did try out Rift. So far I have a level 60 Cleric, healing type. It's damn fun leveling and the sudden rifts and the invasions. Just trying out different souls with my cleric. So far I have been using the healing souls but might shift to the DPS build. I say its a must try game, has very good graphics as well. http://www.riftreview.net is the site which has a guide and a review on the game. Waiting for them to add rogue and mage builds and strategies as well ^_^

Posted: March 10, 2011 3:23 AM
    malania
  • Froznbullet

So is rift worth it? I just came from playing w0w for about 4 years and it got easier with each expansion pretty much and I was wondering if Rift raids are going to be really easy and no strategy base? Also is pvp balance in this game? If you could just give me some comments saying if this game is worth it or not! Thanks!

Posted: March 7, 2011 5:25 PM
    Froznbullet
  • Serpentz691

What up with the idiotic trolls "micrappy" and "joeh4x". I guess I got to feed you...ugly wretched things. First, if you're going to spend time bitching about something, use some proper English and sentence structure you god damn retards. Second, it sounds like micrap-ass didn't even play it. Go troll somewhere else where people could understand wtf you are saying. You didn't even play the game and people that like it....like me for instance, don't want people like you in game. Go back to DnD and living in your moms basement. Over and out.

Posted: February 22, 2011 5:12 AM
  • mnthermit

I have played the beta,,,this game is a refreshing & fun game,,I already preordered,,it has been a good while since I played a game as good as RIFT..I fully expect to have many " MORE " hrs. of challenging play ahead of me..if you think it's a bust,,go back to wow because you prob. cant handle this

Posted: February 21, 2011 6:28 PM
  • paragon868

Joeh4x, u have to clue wth your talking about... Raids are in... Pretty much 90% of any rogue type player from any mmo loves these rogue "souls" more then anything they have ever seen. You sound like someone who jumped into the first waterfront and got rapped. Ive played end game and it only gets better. Pvp can be brutal; its more warhammer then wow. People complain about pvp or the fact they get CC'd about every 2 sec need to learn how to play. And perhaps uh, i dunno go purchase your pvp soul. Which has tons of counters and CC on its own. This game has been the best beta ever. People will tell you it went 99.8% great. The game is great in almost every way. Take for instance the first waterfront half the time most the players on one side (even both) have no clue what there doing. They just start rushing in and fighting in the middle. When the entire point is to work as team and hold the fang. I watch people not help protect the fang, not pick it up, or even drop it in the most retared locations. I can tell you how many times I won by myself the entire WF. (In every class; not rogue).
    Look what wow has done to the mmo expectations..all that matters is raiding and pvp and being lEEt at it. What happened to having depth, feeling like your in the world, and having fun while doing it.
    Dont come here and try n hate on it because its not cool enough for your one lil corner. I will say go back to wow (which I know everyone hates) but then o wait... Cata went dry a month ago... Not only has this been the best beta ever, but trion is IN contact and ontop of the entire community at insane speeds.. They really care more about you then your $15/ month sub. They have kept promises more then any developer ive ever seen. And who else will have new weekly content..no one. Ive played to cap and all the end game that every other mmo release failed at IS THERE.

Posted: February 20, 2011 9:04 PM
    paragon868
  • Joeh4x

Everything thing this guy says is BS. First off, they removed Rift Raids from the game at launch because they were too easy. Why am i not surprised he is playing a rogue archtype? They are plain stupid in this game. If you are looking for any sort of PvP content in this game don't waste your money. There has been 0 balancing when it comes to PvP, and it feels like you are playing a f2p.

Posted: February 20, 2011 11:44 AM
    Joeh4x
  • Joeh4x

Posted: February 20, 2011 11:42 AM
    Joeh4x
  • Lyphe

Looks GREAT!
    Is that video available in HD anywhere?

Posted: February 19, 2011 7:14 AM
    Lyphe
  • ilterates

well, that was pretty awesome.

Posted: February 19, 2011 4:15 AM
  • iG4MER

In the beta now, this game has so much to offer... so many things to do, see, collect. Then you get to go Raiding and get even more. SWEET! Went and got 2 collectors editions today on pre-order. One for me and the other for my wife.. looking forward to adventuring further, and all the end game has to offer!

Posted: February 19, 2011 2:05 AM
    iG4MER
  • StarWars_Enigma

This game is so fun! I wont buy it right away cause my laptop sucks big time and just barely runs it, but when I do get a new one, I'll definitely be picking this up....and ditching WoW lol

Posted: February 18, 2011 11:37 PM
    StarWars_Enigma
  • micrapple

Lol, roten cheater! This vid kind of convince me to buy this game and I haven't interested in it since day one.

Posted: February 18, 2011 9:33 PM
    micrapple
  • sarid

well, that one raid he showed had way more content than aion all together >_>

Posted: February 18, 2011 7:27 PM
    sarid
  • ultima12

I absolutely love this game and I'm so happy the end game stuff looks so good. The beta is amazing and I can't WAIT to get my hands on the actual game. It's such a fresh and exciting new take the the fantasy MMO, which I think the genre needed.

Posted: February 18, 2011 4:28 PM