APB: All Points Bulletin - PC

APB: All Points Bulletin
Game Description:APB is a massively multiplayer online game based in living, breathing cities that will feel familiar to players, as they precisely replicate famous cities all over the world. APB is a turf war involving two main factions, the Squads, whose goal is to uphold the law, and the Gangs, who seek to break the law at all costs. Players will be able to choose their side, in a classic good guy versus bad guy scenario. The Gangs are all about graffiti, attitude, custom cars and earning cash any way they can. The Squads stand for honor, teamwork, firepower and destroying the Gangs. APB will provide the player with the ultimate customization options from their weapons, vehicles and clothes to their attitude, music and environment.
G4TV Rating
2 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (24 Ratings)
    3.5 / 5
  • Rate This Game
PAX EAST 2010: APB Preview
Article_70309

PAX EAST 2010: APB Preview

By Andrew Pfister - Posted Mar 26, 2010

APB Beta Moving Forward In A Matter Of

What We Know: APB is the MMO crime game you never knew you always wanted. It puts players in the middle of a blighted urban hellscape, and encourages them to join either of two sides, the Enforcers or the Criminals, a/k/a the cops or the robbers. The game design was led by David Jones, creator of the original Grand Theft Auto and Crackdown, and is being developed by Realtime Worlds, so this is definitely one to watch.

What We Saw: Last time we had a look at Realtime Worlds’ All Points Bulletin was at GamesCom in Germany last autumn. It wasn’t playable and they really weren’t saying much back then, but here at PAX East, a playable demo of A.P.B. is getting a considerable amount of attention.

Behind the stage, we got to see a private demonstration of the game’s insane customization options. Nearly everything about your play experience can be created from scratch using a suite of in-game tools and editors, including what your persona looks like, the clothing he or she wears, the vehicle you drive, and the symbols and graphics you can plaster everywhere. There’s even a 6-track music editor that you can use to create a custom death theme (which I will definitely use to make the tender piano death theme from Lost as mine). Everything you create in the game can be sold to less artistically-inclined players using the game’s marketplace (relax, it’s in-game currency, not real dollars).

All Points Bulletins

After our customization demo, I got to hop onto a station back out on the floor and join the PAX attendee battle. The mission I joined wasn’t particularly thrilling - find and tag specific locations with graffiti - but it gave me a quick introduction to the core driving and shooting mechanics. Driving, whether it was a big whale of a car or a small and speedy 4-door, had a definite weight to it, and it took some time to adjust to longer brake times and wider steering. On the other hand, shooting felt instantly good, and even though I only had the chance to test out a mid-range SMG, I managed to deal a modest amount of damage before some jerk named "Dmitri" starting picking us criminals off one-by-one perched on a rooftop with a longer-range assault rifle. So that part wasn’t much fun... thankfully the respawn wait time is low and you get dropped back into the game not too far from your current objective.

Realtime has clearly been spending a lot of time working on balance, customization, and community features (they’re definitely listening to pre-release feedback and already thinking about future plans for updates), so it will be interesting to see the initial wave of Enforcer vs. Criminal combat when the game’s finally released.

• ryguyryan

anybody know if there is info out about subscription fees or if there even is one?

Posted: March 30, 2010 10:24 AM
    ryguyryan
  • KingDominicano

I have been following this game since it was announced about 4-5 years ago! Like most people know it was originally slated to be on both PC and Xbox 360. However, as it progressed certain issues with MS and rules they have for developers looking to create a game for the 360 made it very difficult for Realtime Worlds to continue on the 360. As little as a year ago they were still working on a 360 version so there is still hope for us console gamers. Right now MS is trying to see how well the PC version fairs and if it does well then we all know how MS cannot pass up a big paycheck.lol. So if you want to see this on 360 voice your opinion, and if you have a PC help your fellow gamers out by supporting this game.

Posted: March 30, 2010 7:58 AM
    KingDominicano
  • tdogg06051991

And I mean it runs unreal technology hopefully well see a port

Posted: March 29, 2010 5:10 PM
    tdogg06051991
  • tdogg06051991

I heard it was gonna be on 360 then it was gonna be on ps3 and now a pc eclusive??? Well its just not going to be bought by me I guess

Posted: March 29, 2010 5:09 PM
    tdogg06051991
  • kayderek18

I think its time I ditched apple and went back to PCs

Posted: March 29, 2010 2:27 PM
    kayderek18
  • lowkevmic

The game sounds great, and with the original creator behind Grand Theft Auto and Crackdown on this project, I can only assume that it will be a fun game. My only thing is, can we please get a good MMO game for the consoles?? For every PC MMO title 9 times out of 10 your computer isn't equipped to play it to its full potential, due to an outdated graphic or sound card, or some sort of computer mumbo jumbo that keeps you from fully enjoying the experience. I would love to play a fun MMO for the consoles, that I can just pop in and play, without having to make sure I have all the right system requirements in order to play it for a few hours. WIth XBL and PSN, I'm sure they can come up with something!!

Posted: March 29, 2010 8:51 AM
    lowkevmic
  • XFRod

I still can't read APB without having visions of the old arcade title, where you drove your police car through doughnut shops, rammed criminals of the road, and mashed buttons to "force" a confession out of them while the chief yelled at them. The cheif's garbled voice should be my next ringtone.

Is there any connection at all, no matter how thin, to that old game?

Posted: March 29, 2010 8:51 AM
  • awmace5

SICK YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN DEATH TUNE!!!

Posted: March 28, 2010 7:44 PM
    awmace5
  • unfungames

I've seen extensive gameplay and the game just doesn't look that good. It sounds GREAT when you describe it but the way the game is built just doesn't work very well.

Posted: March 28, 2010 6:39 PM
    unfungames
  • Metalstorm98

are there differnet factions amoung the sides?... like are the police broken in to fbi, local, cops etc and the criminals in to different gangs?

Posted: March 28, 2010 3:21 PM
    Metalstorm98
  • BigKevSexyMan

They had me interested in this game on concept alone. Good to hear that they're doing it justice with the gameplay.

Posted: March 28, 2010 12:34 PM
    BigKevSexyMan
  • cwhas2godhands

I don't think the title "APB" is going to get a lot of people interested. Maybe they should call it "Regrettable Tattoos". ;)

Posted: March 28, 2010 10:14 AM
    cwhas2godhands
  • Quixotic_Noble

This is an example of a MMO that I want to see on a console. I never had a PC that could handle great games growing up and therefore settled into a console preference. When are we going to see a dynamite MMO for either PS3 or 360?

Posted: March 28, 2010 9:19 AM
    Quixotic_Noble
  • gorestorm

I hope they announce a release date soon I MUST HAVE THIS GAME!!!

Posted: March 28, 2010 5:55 AM