Star Wars: The Old Republic - PC

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Game Description:Embark on the most epic Star Wars experience to date in this story-driven MMO set during the time of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Fight your way across the galaxy as a Jedi, Sith or various other Star Wars archetypes and characters, and encounter countless friends and foes along the way in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Experience the expansive Star Wars universe like never before thanks to the SWTOR's full voice acting, an MMO first.
G4TV Rating
5 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (151 Ratings)
    4.5 / 5
  • Rate This Game
Preview: Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO
Article_70177

Preview: Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO

By Abbie Heppe - Posted Mar 15, 2010

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Last week I had the chance to stop by LucasArts in San Francisco, a place that still makes me giddy, to play soon-to-be-released MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic.  I got to try out the Trooper, an action-point gunner class that smacks, spiritually, of Dark Forces’ Kyle Katarn, only working for the Republic as the newest member of Havok Squad.

Though I only saw a small snippet of the full Trooper story (all 8 classes have their own epic storyline), it treads on ground more morally ambiguous than say, the Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior, with many opportunities to assist or forsake separatists and other factions in opposition to the Empire. As the game progresses, the Trooper rises higher and higher in the ranks of the military, but our demo was set at level 6, which is probably somewhere around the rank of Imperial peon given the speculated 50 level cap. I was told that the further you progress in the Trooper’s story, the more pivotal your position in the Republic's military is and you’ll be quite concerned with how you’re viewed in the galaxy.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

What I didn’t see (tough in a short demo) was too much of the RPG elements. I had a short interaction with NPCs for a main mission and side quest in which I did have dialogue choices that seemed important. I was also blocked from more of the MMO-sy elements of the game, choosing my own EQ for the character, meddling with anything not on my given HUD, playing with many others (save Morgan Webb sweeping into my game and shooting everything before I could) but all with good reason as the point of the demo was to see how well gunplay worked in the world (and MMOs are sometimes not the easiest genre to hop right into from a random point).

That said, what the Trooper demonstrates best are the two most compelling aspects of SW:TOR (at least to me), the ability to play solo and have fast-paced action, like you’d expect in a game bearing the Star Wars name. I was having little trouble dispatching multiple enemies with combinations of blaster fire, rifle grenades, the quick melee attack and full auto mode, which can pin enemies down with continuous fire. My favorite though, is the sticky grenade, because tagging enemies with inescapable doom is always delightful. In short, that promise of SW action in an MMO setting was fulfilled in my playthrough.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

While by no means a finished game, SW:TOR sure is fun to play, and it’ll be interesting to see how much of the scope of the universe is detailed in the time leading up to the Spring 2011 release window. For the inside scoop from Daniel Erickson (lead writer, Bioware) and Jake Neri (Producer, LucasArts), you can watch Adam interview them on X-Play and G4tv.com in the days to come. They talk all about how far along the game is, how Star War-sy it is (very!), how female characters actually wear clothing, and how SW:TOR is “bigger than every game we’ve ever made combined”.

Check out these brand new screens!

• FaroDemon

sweet thanks G4

Posted: March 20, 2010 5:10 PM
    FaroDemon
  • shushine

cool...but i still want Kotor 3 =(

Posted: March 20, 2010 8:03 AM
    shushine
  • reaper752

My entire guild on WoW is just waiting for this to come out, we are staging a mass exodus on launch an hour before launch.

Posted: March 16, 2010 3:26 PM
  • The_US_Assassin

Ok im becomimg a pc gamer does anyone know if this will be out for macs? if not im buying an alienwear pc today!!

Posted: March 16, 2010 7:35 AM
    The_US_Assassin
  • ianmarvinchua

by the way its at the top it says " i dont want to read it i want a video" just soo your wondering

Posted: March 16, 2010 4:15 AM
  • ianmarvinchua

why is _monkey_'s comment a minus 16 ? whats wrong in sating he wants a video and not read it it did not offend anyone ...... weirdoss.........

Posted: March 16, 2010 4:14 AM
  • SheoDagana

Seriously? She says one thing about 'Imperial peon' as a joke and people start jumping all over it, shouting "Troopers are for the Republic! Not the Empire!" Sheesh, c'mon guys...

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this game. I love that you can solo and that you're taking on more than just one enemy at a time on a normal basis. And a story! That's what had me playing FFXI for years. It had a pretty strong story for an MMO. I'll probably run this game with several friends. All that's left is to know the system requirements. Forget Final Fantasy XIV. I'm getting this!

Posted: March 16, 2010 12:38 AM
    SheoDagana
  • Fuzion9

SO EXCITED! I WANT A RELEASE DATE!

Posted: March 15, 2010 9:35 PM
    Fuzion9
  • Crazywheels63

I think what is most important is that Bioware is showing progress in leaps and bounds...
    they are improving on what has been before them...World of Warcraft...
    Granted...there are only 8 Classes right now...but givin time after the release and maybe a couple of Expansions...I only hope...there will be more than just the 8...
    I think one thing Bioware needs to address is the biggest questions we have been asking on SWTOR website the most...What Races are there going to be??sure we can see the Classes...but there are so many races that can be in this game from the start that they truly have not even dropped any hints ...
    That will be the biggest supprises of this MMO...Abilities from the Race....it could be endless...

Posted: March 15, 2010 7:44 PM
    Crazywheels63
  • Variand

Trooper is Galactic Republic Class. Empire is the Sith Empire. Yes in about 3500 the Republic will be converted into an Empire by a Sith Lord (Darth Sidious / Palpatine), but in the days of the Old Republic. The Sith Empire was it's own entity and the Republic had always been the republic for over "A thousand Generations" (Reference: Obi-wan "Ben" Kenobi - Star Wars: Episode IV). so for Roughly 20,000 years it had always been the republic until the end of the clone wars and the subsequent rise of Darth Vader.

So if you guys want to get real technical the Sith Empire and Galactic Republic WILL BE the same entity, but being that this game is roughly 3500 years before the clone wars (the end of the republic and birth of the Galactic Empire) the Trooper is still a Republic class.

Please also note that as state at the time in Episode 1, the Republic had no standing army and it wasn't until Chancellor Palpatine was given Emergency Executive Powers by the Senate that a Republic Army was formed using the clones of Jango Fett. So between SW:tOR and Episode 1 the Republic Army will be disbanded. Most likely around the time of the Republic's Reorganization, called the "Ruusan Reformation" after a around 1,000 BBY (Before Battle of Yavin) which is referenced by then Chancellor Palpatine in Episode 2: Attack of the Clones when he stated, "a Republic that has stood for a thousand years..."

So yeah, Trooper = Republic class along with Smuggler, and 2 Jedi Classes. Bounty Hunter seems to be closest equivalent on (sith) Empire side of things along with, Agent, and 2 Sith (force users) Classes.

SW-Fanboi getting off Soapbox now.

Thanks for the preview Abbie. Keeps us in the loop on this stuff!
    Also, Big props to Morgan for showing her 1337-ness in MMO prowess.

Posted: March 15, 2010 5:20 PM
    Variand
  • FrostWyrm

Finally, an MMORPG to look forward to! I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a huge disappointment like that last time I got excited about an MMORPG (Everquest 2). This game looks to be doing a lot of things that haven't been tried before in an MMO, like the cover system, group dialogue choices, quest rewards that change depending on your actions, and some others. I'll definitely be giving this one a shot when it's available.

Posted: March 15, 2010 5:10 PM
    FrostWyrm
  • jephGLof2814

@cryfordawn

The Sith Empire and the Galactic Empire are not the same thing. The Sith Empire will be defeated by the Republic who will in turn be opposed by the Separatists which will then cause the Senate to grant Palpatine the authority to restructure the Galactic Republic into the Galactic Empire. So while technically you are correct and that the Troopers WILL BECOME an Imperial class, for purposes of this game they are Republic. And I will be playing one.

Posted: March 15, 2010 5:02 PM
    jephGLof2814
  • cryfordawn

The Tropper is an Imperial class as the clone troopers are what the Storm Troopers become. I love people who dont know star wars and make bold statements

Posted: March 15, 2010 4:38 PM
    cryfordawn
  • Andras

What freekshotkilla said, trooper is republic, not empire

Posted: March 15, 2010 4:28 PM
    Andras
  • Nathiest

Can't wait to play this game for a couple of months before quitting. :D

Posted: March 15, 2010 4:26 PM
    Nathiest
  • unfungames

and let me say....LOL at the guy last year who works for G4 who thought the CG trailer for this was in realtime. How do people like that get jobs in the gaming industry? lol

Posted: March 15, 2010 4:20 PM
    unfungames
  • freekshotkilla

the trooper is not an empire class!!!

Posted: March 15, 2010 4:09 PM
    freekshotkilla
  • __Monkey__

bah im not gonna read it i want video

Posted: March 15, 2010 3:53 PM