World of Warcraft - PC

World of Warcraft
Game Description:Developer Blizzard gives players a new perspective into the popular massively multiplayer Warcraft series with its new title, World of Warcraft. See the world of Azeroth like never before, exploring expansive 3D environments that range from mountains, to deserts, to forests and more. Create a custom character from one of the many classes and races in the Warcraft universe such as Humans, Night Elves, Orcs, Tauren, and Dwarves. Online multiplayer capabilities allow for thousands of players to quest together. Ever changing gameplay varies from month to month as new missions and items are constantly updated, adding to the countless hours of adventuring.
G4TV Rating
N/A
  • Avg User Rating
    (45 Ratings)
    4.3 / 5
  • Rate This Game
World of WarCraft 5-Year Anniversary Retrospective
Article_68896

World of WarCraft 5-Year Anniversary Retrospective

By Brian Leahy - Posted Oct 30, 2009

Ever heard of a little game called World of WarCraft? It's one of those fancy computer games all the kids are playing these days. In fact, there are 13 million kids and adults that play World of Warcraft on a regular basis. Let's just hope they don't band together and form their own country.

Since we're approaching the 5 year anniversary of the game's launch, Morgan Webb went down to Anaheim to interview a few of the guys at Blizzard who started the MMO sensation that became World of WarCraft. First, take a gander at part one of her interview with Game Director Tom Chilton where he discusses what his primarily role was within creating the prolific, Blizzard MMO experience and more.

In Part 2 of 2 of Morgan Webb's interview with Tom Chilton, he revisits the amazing turnout for the original game's launch at Fry's Electronics and what it was like in the Blizzard offices during those first few days.

Ever wondered who was responsible for all those memorable PvE moments in your travels in World of WarCraft? Morgan sat down with Blizzard Lead World Designer, Alex Afrasiabi, to discuss all things WoW quest line-related.

Former World of WarCraft Game Director, Jeffrey Kaplan (aka Tigole in the MMO world), chatted with Morgan about his long-lasting hand in forming WoW, why Westfall is his favorite zone and even touches on Blizzard's next big MMO project.

Keep checking back with us at G4tv.com for all things World of WarCraft related and be sure to watch The MMO Report, our weekly look at the world of MMOs.

• gregormartin

I started playing WoW right before BC came out and I instantly was hooked. I practically gave up playing my 360 so I could run around on WoW. I always had a feeling I was missing out when BC came out, listening to my friends talk about how amazing some of the old content was, and I never had a chance to play some of it when BC came out. I would run by Dire Maul while leveling thinking "What's in there?" haha. I stopped playing in early 2008 because of a guild break up. I was originally going to pick the game back up but still havent, even thought I have WotLK still in it's unopened box. After watching these interviews all I can say is "DAMN YOU G4," because now I am really feeling the itch to hop back in. Well played Morgan Webb, well played.

Posted: November 4, 2009 11:54 PM
    gregormartin
  • TheMilkMonster

in the last video he says he's working on"blizzards next big mmo project" who knows what he's talking about? or is it a well kept secret?

Posted: November 4, 2009 8:25 PM
  • InsanePotato

Morgans hot, some wow happened, good time had by all. Nice interviews Morgan. For something that's just a game it's gone through an amazing evolution over 5 years. Going to be very interesting to see where they go from here on there new mmog.

Posted: November 4, 2009 2:34 PM
    InsanePotato
  • fuyuhana

Blizz has sold out to the almighty dollar. They are not interested in making a great product anymore, they just want want to maximize their profit for a minimal investment (hence the EZ mode, lack of superior content, etc.). If you want to see where WOW is headed all you have to do is look the the top MMo which is Free Realms, a VERY kid friendley mmo which has double their users. WOW isn't the beutiful and unique snowflake that it once was, it is now just a commodity.

About their new mmo? They're hyping it as being appealling to the widest demographic possible.

So , if you did the math : The Sims + Gaia + Final Fantasy + Second Life ...

Posted: November 4, 2009 2:20 PM
    fuyuhana
  • XXrebelionXX

I played wow for 2 years and stop playing right before WOTLK came out. i picked it back up about nine months later to find out the game was complete crap. The whole game is basically EZ mode. and not to mention how Paladins, Rogues, and Deathnights are just unbeatable and require no skill at all. Also raising the level cap to 80 destroyed all balance in the game. Honestly i feel Blizz could have released everything with out a level raise. I played for 3 months befor saying F$@& this im done.

Posted: November 4, 2009 3:49 AM
    XXrebelionXX
  • hoof_hearted4

yea wasnt a wow fan, tired the trial a few times cause i was bored, but ill never get wow...blizzard to me is and will alwyas be starcraft and diablo, though i do occasionally play the actual warcraft rts games, but even those im not a big fan of...first two games mentioned ftw :)

and on another note, im hoping Star Wars The Old Republic will be better then wow, cause i like mmos and i want a good one so im putting all my hopes in star wars to be the one to finally beat the gay old wow

Posted: November 1, 2009 12:42 PM
    hoof_hearted4
  • pandoralistener

This stupid ass game ruins lives! Thankfully it wasn't mine.

Posted: November 1, 2009 11:24 AM
    pandoralistener
  • starfan6299

See, blizzard favors the alliance haha

Posted: November 1, 2009 10:10 AM
    starfan6299
  • Dartsytopps

WoW is horrible now. no skill needed whatsoever. Enough said.

Posted: October 31, 2009 5:37 PM
    Dartsytopps
  • Nathiest

Yeah I've been playing Aion.

Posted: October 30, 2009 10:48 PM
    Nathiest
  • Highlen

pfft I lost entrance from blizzard ever since wow

Posted: October 30, 2009 9:31 PM
    Highlen
  • FaroDemon

Why cant wow make it a little bit easier to level that pisses me off how I have to spend like 6 hours to level one time

Posted: October 30, 2009 8:56 PM
    FaroDemon
  • Big_red42

I wish game designers could build more complex mmos than wow, ever since I stooped playing wow I feel like every new mmo I see has the same wack-a-mole type fighting and doesn't bring a single new idea to the table. like playing as raid bosses, exclusive characters (only attainable through specific accomplishments). The idea is not to make everyone completely equal but to give players a plethora of options to take to try to stay on top (sort of like reality)

Posted: October 30, 2009 8:31 PM
    Big_red42
  • DrowNoble

Alex Afrasiabi's interview was odd. He talks about how they have a "historian" and implied they take so much care about the lore. Yet, there are numerous lore-errors and general WTH moments in BC and Wrath. Cataclysm actually got booed at blizzcon when they announced class changes and content.

Seriously, who asked for goblins as playable race?

Five years and only 1 new class and 2 new races is rather sad.

Posted: October 30, 2009 7:35 PM
    DrowNoble
  • AaronQ123

This was a great set of interviews. Though not an early adopter of the game, I started playing 3 years ago and it has been a fantastic journey. With the next expansion on the horizon I'm thinking about how much fun I have already had. Even while raiding and carving a new story with guildmates, I sometimes enjoy remembering the simple things that used to be so fun. It similar to the feeling "retro" gamers have about their arcade days. Even though I'm aware we put a glow on these events, some part of us still wishes we could see the game through those eyes. Again great set of`interviews.

Posted: October 30, 2009 3:00 PM
    AaronQ123
  • Dynamo903

Don't forget, alot of big shots that worked on WoW left blizzard to form ArenaNet who is currently working on Guild Wars 2. :)

Posted: October 30, 2009 12:13 PM
    Dynamo903
  • topgamer101

Well I should say so, since Wow was inspired by Diablo which there in was inspired by other games of fantasy like them. Everything borrows ideas from other titles, so don't get all bent out of shape about these things.

Posted: October 30, 2009 8:41 AM
    topgamer101
  • xbigntastyx

Hmmm a paladin with a skill in which you stun your opponent by hitting him with your shield... sounds like diablo 2 to me.

Posted: October 30, 2009 1:12 AM