The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 3DS

• Publisher: Nintendo
  • Genre:Action, Adventure
  • Developer: Nintendo
  • Release Date:Jun 19, 2011
  • # of Players:1 player
  • ESRB:E10+ - Everyone 10+ (Animated Blood, Fantasy Violence, Suggestive Themes)
  • Platforms:
Game Description:The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D brings a completely re-mastered version of an epic entry in the beloved The Legend of Zelda game series to Nintendo’s newest hand-held system, Nintendo 3DS. The game couples phenomenally enhanced graphics with stunning, glasses-free 3D visuals to bring to life the daring adventures of its hero, Link. A streamlined touch-screen interface and newly implemented motion controls provide a fresh and intuitive feel as players immerse themselves in the tale of the creation of Hyrule and the struggle for control of its all-powerful ancient relic. The game will also feature new challenges not included in the original game. The Legend of Zelda veterans can look forward to the Master Quest – a second quest with revamped puzzles and redesigned dungeons that feature the same graphical and interface upgrades as the main game. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a masterful improvement on one of the landmark releases in video game history.
G4TV Rating
5 / 5
  • Avg User Rating
    (40 Ratings)
    4.8 / 5
  • Rate This Game
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Preview -- Hello Water Temple, We Meet Again
Article_74501

By David Rudden - Posted May 11, 2011

In the dozen-plus years that have passed since The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time released on the Nintendo 64, one facet of the game has developed a massive negative reputation that stands in a stark contrast to the rest of the critically-acclaimed blockbuster—the Water Temple. To those of you who have yet to play the game, the normally hyperbolic Urban Dictionary ably summarizes the tedious and torturous stage, comparing it to the most personally invasive medical examination possible.

To those who have played the level, I'm glad you've returned your gaze to this article after your post-traumatic stress disorder was triggered upon its first mention. To both groups, I assure you that the level is far more enjoyable and intuitive when played on the 3DS. I must also warn you, however, to keep your ego in check, since the standard quest is probably harder than you remembered, while the Master Quest will truly test your mettle.

The lion's share of the hour-long demo I had with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D was spent exploring the depths of the aforementioned infamous stage. The most tedious part of the stage—the need to equip and remove Link's dense Iron Boots on dozens of occasions—has changed drastically. Before, it was a laborious process that required pausing the game, making the change, regaining your bearings in the game world, and performing the action needed with or without the boots on. This time around, I was able to take off and put on the boots with just a tap of the touch screen.

Ocarina of Time 3D

That being said, the Water Temple was a multifaceted tool of frustration, and some of the level's other troublesome parts have been improved with Ocarina of Time 3D's changes. The addition of Gyro Sensor controls may help the less-experienced dungeon crawlers engage in first-person activities like aiming and exploring the surroundings. Even for folks who prefer the precision of an analog stick (present company included), using the Gyro Sensor is a nice change of pace that can be enjoyable during lower-stakes situations like finding hookshot panels and looking for hidden elements within an empty room.

The level's brain-busting puzzles have also been addressed with the game's new “Vision” system. At select locations within Hyrule are stylized versions of the game's standard Gossip Stones. Larger and more colorful than the more common variety, the Vision Stones will present solutions to some of the game's tougher puzzles by flashing a series of quick hints. Coming up with the solution will still require some brainpower, which makes the Vision Stones a nice compromise between having to decipher the obtuse hints often presented in Zelda games and having all of the challenge sucked out of the game by referring to an online video walkthrough.

Ocarina of Time 3D

I worry that the system may be too sparse for its own good, however, as the Nintendo representatives on hand could only recall two locations for the stones. Since finding these hints will often require puzzled players to leave the dungeon and trek far across Hyrule to find the rare locales, I can see many players forgoing Visions in favor of less satisfying solutions.

Outside of the standard Ocarina of Time experience, two more modes have been added to extend the experience, though one comes with a major caveat. The addition that won't create objection is the boss battle mode that serves as a time trial of sorts. Once a dungeon's keeper is felled in the story, Link will be able to take on any of them in a rematch by returning to his bed in Kokiri Villiage. Defeating all of the bosses will allow access to the Boss Gauntlet, which pits Link against all of the game's biggest baddies without the ability to rest or revive. Not only is it a fun way to relive the game's most memorable moments—I was able to re-experience the epic showdown with Gannondorf in a hair under five minutes—but it should help players prepare for the second quest, should they choose to accept it.

Ocarina of Time 3D

While most of the changes made to create more casual appeal for the Ocarina of Time 3D will be welcome by series veterans too, one change that might cause a stir amongst fans is the fact that the included Master Quest will only be unlockable upon completion of the standard storyline; the game was included in the GameCube's Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest edition. However, after trying out the first combat stage in the Master Quest, my quick demise in Jabu Jabu's Belly reminded me that the dozens of hours I spent with the game over a decade ago haven't served to make me anything resembling an expert.

Given the fact that the game looks gorgeous in 3D with remastered visuals, and the amazing score and script remain just as endearing as they did at launch, I don't think I'll mind taking on this classic quest once again when it releases for the 3DS on June 19.

• Psychof1st

Am I wrong?

Posted: June 2, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Psychof1st

Someone may have pointed this out, already. But;
    You don't pause the game, you just press the C button you set the iron boots to, to equip/unequip them.

Posted: June 2, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Avearys333

It was actually on the LoZ: OoT bonus disc (bundled with select GameCube systems), NOT the Collector's Edition. So they are correct that it was released on GC, just in an extremely limited release and it was not available separately. As for people like billclinton2006 and others who hate on the 3DS or Zelda or think they are for kids, think again. I am 25 years old and I love my 3DS, can't wait for this game to come out.

Posted: May 22, 2011 6:38 AM
    Avearys333
  • billclinton2006

Wow this games looks like crap, I can't wait for sony's new handheld. Finally a handheld that has decent game play and graphics. Nintendo is crap when it comes to originality. Stop trying to re-sell everything Nintendo! It's annoying! Besides no one over the age of 14 is going to buy a 3DS.

Posted: May 12, 2011 8:08 PM
  • REloaDkIllJr

I dont even have a 3ds yet, but im going to get this game!!

Posted: May 12, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Tsuiyo

I'm sorry...I played this once before and really enjoyed it...but I don't think I could go through all of this again, even on a new console. Ocarina of Time for the 3DS is not on my "to get" list anymore :P

Posted: May 12, 2011 4:10 PM
    Tsuiyo
  • magozel

mmmm i would prefer the master quest edition with better graphics back then...
    it is just to many remakes....

Posted: May 12, 2011 2:07 PM
    magozel
  • Kill Me Quickly

The Water Temple was such an awful, soul-destroying labyrinth for me when i first played through Ocarina back when I was 11. It was such a challenge for me, I had to have my buddy Ricky beat it for me! My Little brother was just making fun of me for it just the other day. I made the point that I redeemed myself by beating it on my own in more recent times after downloading it on my Wii. Majora's Mask was even better! I have a tat on my left shoulder/arm of the Mask with cool digital/root tentacles extending downward

Posted: May 12, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Baelorn

Gooo LoZ greatest game series ever made. Yeah LoZ has been reamde alot with so many different stories, but thats why LoZ is such a good game, non of them are stand alones, they have the history of pretty much every LoZ, and if your a fan of Loz you know all about the history and the split timestream blah blah blah. So all in all Im glad that OoT is being made for the DS, this will give those younger players who never played OoT a chance to play one of the most iconic games there is. So go Link keep making new games and saving the princess all throughout time just because a long long time ago some crazy dude thought it would be a good idea to give the first kid into his cave a magical sword.

Have a good day and remember, Kratos aint got nothing on Link.

Posted: May 12, 2011 9:56 AM
    Baelorn
  • Kill Audio

@boredx

I don't believe it was released on that. But I do know that it was a pre-order gift when getting Windwaker.

Problem is, I only got Windwaker so I could get to play Master Quest! I played Ocarina of Time and Master Quest a hell of a lot more than I did Windwaker!

Posted: May 12, 2011 9:10 AM
    Kill+Audio
  • abloobudoo009

Did anyone else have to scoop the curm out of their pants or was it just me?

Posted: May 12, 2011 8:08 AM
    abloobudoo009
  • Whiteaura1

Master Quest was on a entirely seperate disk, not on the collectors,

collectors only had the first and second NES Zelda, OoT and Majora's Mask, alongside a 15 min demo for wind waker

Posted: May 11, 2011 11:27 PM
    Whiteaura1
  • mannychilling

yeah this game is good for the people that haven't played the original and for the people that love zelda and i love how there using the bottom screen on this game, cant wait to play a real good game on my already warn out 3d screen dew to a design flaw that scratches the upper screen but when its on u cant see them so its all good i love 3d on the 3ds i wish that it were bigger

Posted: May 11, 2011 9:40 PM
    mannychilling
  • Satchamoe

boredx you aren't wrong. Master quest didn't come out in "Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition" The collectors edition was a bonus that came bundled with some game cubes for awhile. The game that included "Master Quest" was called "Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time & Master Quest", which I believe was a pre-order bonus for people who had ordered the "Windwaker" for the Gamecube.

Posted: May 11, 2011 8:05 PM
    Satchamoe
  • Hylianbeast

This seems to be the only game im excited to get for the 3ds when i get one. I just want them to make some good ORIGINAL games, not remakes

Posted: May 11, 2011 8:03 PM
    Hylianbeast
  • zimmy91

It comes out on my birthday...
    THAT IS AWESOME!

Posted: May 11, 2011 7:38 PM
    zimmy91
  • boredx

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Master Quest was available on the Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition.

Posted: May 11, 2011 6:48 PM