E3 News

DS, NCAA Football 360 Dominates July Sales
Posted By: John Manalang - Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:26 PM

After the Nintendo Wii and Old Snake's dominating run last month, college football fever took over Metal Gear Solid 4's top sales spot with NCAA Football 09 for the Xbox 360. But Nintendo's not worried as their own Nintendo DS took over the Wii's spot last month as the top selling hardware in July. Here are the top five selling software and hardware titles, according to the NPD, for the month of July:

Software:

1. NCAA Football 09 (Xbox 360)
  2. Wii Fit
  3. Guitar Hero: On Tour
  4. Wii Play
  5. NCAA Football 09 (PS3)

Hardware (units):

1. Nintendo DS - 608,400
  2. Nintendo Wii - 555,000
  3. Playstation 3 - 224,900
  4. Playstation Portable - 221,700
  5. Xbox 360 - 204,800

Comment(s)

Posted by OBAMAISBUSHpart3 - Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:32 PM
I am very happy for the PS3 running things in hardware sales all year long so far in 2008 over the (EXPLODEBOX 360) and most deservedly so indeed for my fellow intelligent gaming brothers and sisters that are on here that have never disrespected me and i will have my upcoming PS3 soon (hopefully a different color) instead of the black color one,you feel me? Software sales for the (DIEBOX 360) does not impress me at all because the (DEATHBOX 360) is not real hardware at all and that new 60 GB version is definitely going to BREAK and DIE more than ever before just like all of the other versions of the (BROKEBOX 360) have been doing ever since they 1st came out almost 3 years ago ,you feel me?

Posted by TheAngerSphere - Friday, August 15, 2008 11:58 AM
Ugh. Why do people play sports games? Every single one I've played in the last decade have been exactly the same as the one released the year before. I would just rather play the actual sport....

Posted by bholt13 - Friday, August 15, 2008 10:58 AM
oh and the ds in the hands of a 7-10 year old will get broken quite a bit ive seen it, and lost. so some sales would be them rebuying it.

Posted by bholt13 - Friday, August 15, 2008 10:56 AM
@zortman also the ds and psp get upgraded every few years or so. so wat once was the new version like the ds is now the ds lite. and alot of their fanbase would be 7-10 year olds whereease the 360 has a lot of mature games and would be more appealing to someone who is over the age of 14. also the 360 and ps3 are not upgraded.

Posted by bholt13 - Friday, August 15, 2008 10:44 AM
the sales of the ps3 and 360 arent really that much different if u look at the amount that microsoft has been selling in the past. and then alot of ps3's could have been bought for mgs4. nintendo tho wow. i always say they are genius for the wii. by bringing casual gaming for the family aspect. and then hardcore gamers with the classic nintendo titles. theyve brought alot of stuff back for the pple who played it on the n64 and nintendo. and i think thats because they new pple who grew up with those games couldnt ignore them atm.

Posted by Donthate - Friday, August 15, 2008 10:36 AM
Ha ha this is hilarious.
People are so happy that their little ps3 is actually growing up and selling more then a systemm a year older. Here to piss of ps3 fanboys you have to take in account that 30% of the sales are so you can watch blue ray. Also it's even more hiliarious that hardware sales mean nothing. All hardware sales mean is how many units they have out so they can sell software. If you can't recall ps3 is loosing money on systems. Also to piss off more ps3 fanboys knowing that software is the money maker, the 360 has outsoled both the wii and the ps3 in software. Just to make you happy your highest sold game is at more then 3 million, now gears of war(not the highest selling 360 game) is at 5.7 million.

HILIARIOUS, HA HA HA

Posted by HebrewHero - Friday, August 15, 2008 10:29 AM
fine

Posted by ctlaltdel - Friday, August 15, 2008 10:10 AM
@ HebrewHero

gears,halo,crackdown,dead rising, frontlines, ninja gaiden 2, bioshock, lost odyssey, guitar hero 2 and 3, saints row, orange box(valve version which is the good version not ea's),doa, pgr,mass effect, and soon to have too human, left 4 dead, fable and gears 2, and that just to name a few. and yes i know some are multiplatforms and some will be ported in the next few months. and i know ps3 has some good titles too so i'm not bashing ps3.

Posted by HebrewHero - Friday, August 15, 2008 9:37 AM
If the 360 is so great what games is there to really play on it.

Posted by Smartguy81 - Friday, August 15, 2008 8:35 AM
@kikook
Software makes the money. Not the hardware. You are an idiot.

@blakseed
Resistance sucks. Horrible hit detection and a broken shooter to say the least. The sequel will be a rent for me. Dark Sector...blows.
So far I own two games for my ps3..MGS and UT. MGS is the best thing on the system. A great game, but I have had more fun thus far on my xbox.

Posted by staychisel - Friday, August 15, 2008 8:34 AM
@DBJAY, you hit the nail on the head. 360 is doing exactly what it should be doing at this point. it is keeping up with sales and actually surpassing the ps3 by several millions still. at the current rate, it'll be more of the same for a while unless something major happens.

Posted by DBJAY - Friday, August 15, 2008 6:46 AM
The PS3 outsold the 360 by 20,000 units. My god, at that rate, they will outsell the 360 by 250,000 (let's round up to be kind) units a year! The 6 million difference between the two consoles installed base in N. America means that the PS3 might catch up to the 360 in 24 years in the states.

So yeah, pointless to worry about monthly hardware sales.

Posted by Reaper24683 - Friday, August 15, 2008 6:30 AM
UR MASTER AND RULER SAYS TO SHUT UP!U GUYS ARE MORE ANNOYING THAN MY EX GIRLFRIEND!!! GOSH IF U LUV UR SYSTEM SO MUCH GET A ROOM AND CHECK IF UR PRIDE IS IN THE LOST AND FOUND BOX!!! FREAKIN IDIOTS....GOSH!!!

Posted by DamienHell - Friday, August 15, 2008 4:16 AM
@zortman
PSP sales have been in the crapper too up till recently. And there is a MUCH large market for handhelds than consoles, so the DS can maintain higher sales for longer

Posted by mercisan - Friday, August 15, 2008 12:16 AM
@JTHMROCKS
Iseefakepeopleonline is nuts. I'm glad I don't know that dude. He ain't right in the head. I think he is some kind of religious fanatic. But he only shows up once in a while. You feel me? LOL

In the end, I actually like all these geeks. We have things in common. It's only some times that they get too lippy. You feel me (sorry, couldn't resist)

Posted by jthmrocks - Friday, August 15, 2008 12:03 AM
mercisan

Zortman is a douche but I hate Iseefakeepople and Mac11 more.

Posted by mercisan - Friday, August 15, 2008 12:03 AM
LOL

I am just messing with you, man. You get pissed off too easy. I think you take this posts too seriously. I'm gonna take you off my 5h!t list today. How about that? But I'm not making any promises. I might call you out if you get too douchy.

Posted by mercisan - Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:50 PM
^
Yeah, but eamadden is funny. You're just annoying. At least he comes up with new crap pretty often, and he's more original. The POWER UP one is a good one IMO.

Maybe I just don't like you.

Posted by zortman66 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:35 PM
@mercisan

"It gets annoying when you over do it."

Tell that to your buddy eamadden!

SORNY! BS3! SORNY! BS3! SORNY! BS3!

You Xbots are the kings (or is it queens?) of flame war repetition.

Posted by mercisan - Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:26 PM
@zortman66
Stop saying fail, you fool. It gets annoying when you over do it. Even if you are just annoying yourself.

PS
Your point is acceptable. Just don't say fail. That's an order.

Posted by zortman66 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:57 PM
So quiet...

I wonder where all the Xbots are...

Posted by face0324 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:51 PM
^ what he said, i got your back bro.

hey damienhell.....that just happened!

Posted by zortman66 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:36 PM
Oh, I almost forgot! The PSP came out before the 360 as well, so shouldn't THAT be lower on the list than the 360 also?

Double fail.

Posted by zortman66 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:23 PM
@DamienHell

"Of course the 360 has been out for a year longer than the PS3 and has been selling amazingly this whole time, its no surprise its sales are dropping, most people who are going to buy a 360 own a 360 already."

If this is true, then why are people still buying the DS? It came out in 2004, a year before the 360. I mean, if you're going to say that a system isn't selling well because of it's age, then your argument makes no sense when you look at the DS's numbers.

Fail.

Posted by zortman66 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:20 PM
@staychisel

Don't try to spin this any other way than:

PS3 - 224,900 units sold (Win)
Xbox 360 - 204,800 units sold (Fail)

Bottom line: PS3 is gaining steam. The 360 will soon be a memory...

Posted by rbee90 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:18 PM
btw...playtv and freeview looks awesome...

Posted by rbee90 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:09 PM
http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/0 8/14/sony-ps3-has-competitive- advantage-over-xbox-360-and-yo ure-paying-for-potential/

no spam...just read it,fanboys

Posted by labaronx - Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:04 PM
i wonder how many of those 360 owners (self included) brought ncaa back when they became victim to online cheating.

your in the 4th quarter, tie game, minute left your opponent throws a pass, your safety picks it off on the five yard line, he has a clear shot at the endzone if he can get past the reciever, he does victory is in hand your racing toward the endzone un-opposed and suddenly...................... ............

your game has been dropped, no forfiet, no friendly quit, it just drops. you check your stats and YOU HAVE THE LOSS WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are cheaters on xbox live and this is much worse than three people ganging up on one person in halo 3 for stats(annoying) the online of ncaa 09 is broken

Posted by staychisel - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:58 PM
mgs4 only peaked for the month it was released, interesting.

Posted by DamienHell - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:46 PM
@blakseed
I have tried it, I've played all the PS3 exclusives or a demo at least, I wouldn't have bought any of them.

Posted by Sawblood45 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:45 PM
Is it true g4 is sponsored by microsoft? I found it kinda strange how I see feed news about microsoft talking trash about ps3 along with others, who cares about those haters. And how they don't mention ps3s success in 2008 much. What made me ask this is when I saw g phoria and when they mentioned the game of the year part, they made little jokes about all games other than halo and bioshock...which are xbox exclusives, and halo won by "40" votes. Then some non fanboy article on the internet said G4 puts playstation down because microsoft sponsors it, thats why you don't hear much good news about ps3... and I really don't hear good news on here, I do like on google news and stuff, but not here. Do they just not like the ps3?, or what. Why don't they say ps3 beat 360 sales for most of 2008, last year I saw special articles on how 360 outsold ps3 on the feed, what about now?

Posted by rbee90 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:37 PM
its time to beat the war drums to death

Posted by rbee90 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:34 PM
@darkshadow

what games do u play dude? i just added you up

Posted by Darkshadowkg - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:30 PM
*snif *sniff* are we in a california forest?

Posted by bugmenot234 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:28 PM
Why is it when 360 sells better the title will say it sold better but when ps3 sells better they'll talk about the software sells

Posted by blakseed - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:27 PM
Same old post from the same old 360 idiots. Don't knock it till you try it.

Posted by DamienHell - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:19 PM
PS3 sold better than the 360? I feel the flames of war approaching.
Of course the 360 has been out for a year longer than the PS3 and has been selling amazingly this whole time, its no surprise its sales are dropping, most people who are going to buy a 360 own a 360 already. The PS3 however has had crap sales and crap games. Now its getting some pretty sweet games like LBP so now its worth the money to get it, I'd buy one if I had the money

Posted by kikook - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:13 PM
Software isnt what matter its hardware sales.

Posted by rockstar180 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:01 PM
^^^^^NEVER!

Posted by Reaper24683 - Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:52 PM
im the first person to comment!i am king on this page! i now pronounce this place....the internet blog page!!!