E3 News

Bethesda: 'Fallout 3' Better Than 'Oblivion'
Posted By: John Manalang - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 8:33 AM

We all know that Bethesda Softworks's post-apocalpytic RPG, Fallout 3, will be stuck on our console's disc tray for a long while due to its awesomeness, but the developer said that it will be better than their previous role-playing title, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (which was also stuck in our systems).

“I have no doubts in my mind that, at its core and for everything that it provides that Fallout is a better game than Oblivion was,” said by Bethesda's Peter Hines. Notice that he said "is" and not "will be", meaning that Bethesda Softworks firmly believes that they have yet another stellar title on their hands. “I don’t have any doubts that on the whole, and I think this is a belief universally shared on the team that Fallout is a better game," Hines said.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, was released for the Xbox 360 and PC in 2006, followed by the PS3 version last March. Fallout 3 is due out this October for the Xbox 360 (exclusive DLC), Playstation 3 and PC consoles. Check out a hands on demo from last month's E3 after the cut.

Comment(s)

Posted by jonnyboy91 - Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:13 PM
this game rocks and your comment on how the 360 sucks well it doesnt the ps3 does it holds back this game

Posted by Wavinglighter - Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:04 PM
I've played both systems, and to be honest, I can't stand the graphics on the PS3. I thank God I bought a 360.

Posted by blakseed - Wednesday, August 06, 2008 7:05 PM
I don't care about the exclusive downloadable content on the 360. 100 plus hours on the other hand, hell yea. We both get that anyway.

Posted by FoShizzle93 - Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:44 PM
i know im kinda late to the party, but i just got oblivion GOTY for 360 about a month or two ago...but i didnt have enough money at the time so i actually bought the console itself yet (which, admittedly, was fairly moronic...)

but anyway i think now is a great time for 360 owners as well as ps3 owners (i plan to get a 360 ASAP, then a ps3 in a price drop or two)
what with titles like Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fable 2, Gears 2, GTA 4, etc either available or coming soon on 360, and MAG, resistance 2, Resident Evil 5 (which im stoked about) and Metal Gear 4 on the ps3.

anyways were all gamers like dude said and we both have great systems, ps3 is better on some things, 360 is better on some things, theyre both great machines. we should get along. (sorry for sounding like a hippy)

Posted by canyon205 - Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:44 PM
Im not quite sure about which will be better yet

Posted by sps73 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 8:32 PM
I still play single player on GTA4!

Posted by jthmrocks - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:55 PM
Zortman66
They haven't said what the new dlc will be yet. There are speculations it will be Vice city, but R* hasn't confirmed anything.

Still, whatever they put in the dlc (new guns, vechiles, new city) will be accesed in the multiplayer. GTA IV's online takes place in Liberty City, why wouldn't they allow the new areas to be played in multiplayer?

Posted by zortman66 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:14 PM
@JTHMROCKS

Okay, it's 3rd on Xbox Live. That's great. But that's multi-player. No one plays the single player mode anymore, which is what the DLC is going to be (two episodes if I've read correctly).

Posted by Bellamorte - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:02 PM
I don't care what the trolls say.

Fallout 3,4,5 will take awards & sell like mad.

The mods will be best of all...

Posted by B00MR1D3 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:02 PM
meh

Posted by jthmrocks - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 2:03 PM
I need this game.

Posted by jthmrocks - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 1:41 PM
Zortman
I just got 100% in GTA IV a couple days ago. It's the thrid most popular game on Xbox Live right now.

Posted by Sandrock323 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:58 AM
To settle this dispute. The PS3 has better textures and the 360 has better lighting effects. That is still like winning a medal at the special Olympics tho.

Posted by hellrazer360 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:28 AM
WWWOOOOOOO...I CANT WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by n00bSector5 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:15 AM
I might as well quit my job and get a divorce now. Anyone looking for a roomie?

Posted by Platformermaniac - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:10 AM
Oblivion was a fun game but I wish they would have hired more than 5 voice actors for the entire game. I hope Fallout 3 doesn't do the same.

Posted by UsefulPlayer1 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:43 AM
Zortman66 get that dirt out of your mouth and stop picking fights.

And by the way I'm pretty sure having a whole other console base brings a lot of happiness to a lot of people who chose the Xbox 360, because it fits their needs. So if you want to reject a great game from some million people who are gamers just like you, because of some fantasy that the honorable developers of Bethesda actually scaled back the game to fit the needs of the Xbox 360, then why does a piece of dirt like you keep damping society with your presence?

Remember, we're not Xbots and PS3 owners aren't retarded fanboys, WE ARE GAMERS.
(Wii doesn't count) ;)

I think Fallout 3 is cool, but I'm still watching out for Fable 2.

Posted by BONERJAM - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:14 AM
I wasn't to thrilled about this game until I saw the gameplay videos. I finally beat Bioshock and now I am looking for another FPS/RPG to get into.

Posted by ryan_the_rat - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:08 AM
I still think that Sega is better than Nintendo because Sega has better games and to top it off Sega had the freaking Sega Channel that I got through my cable company! I got like 40 games a month for like 20 dollars. It was awesome! oh 1994... I miss you.

Posted by geekenstein - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:07 AM
october cant come fast enough

Posted by phattchumpy - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:03 AM
Awesome!!! I loved Oblivion and I love Fallout!!!! If anyone wants to help our fallout 3 wiki along please do:

Posted by zortman66 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:44 AM
@WarcraftBonus (seriously? you couldn't think of a better name?)

What does making a comment about a systems power have to do with DLC? And while we're on the subject of DLC, how's that GTA4 DLC? Oh, wait, it isn't out yet? Does anyone even play that game anymore?

Good to know M$ busted out their checkbook for something no one will care about once it gets released!

Posted by youowned - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:44 AM
NO REALLY, Fallout 3 is better then oblivion same as Fable 2 and Gears of war 2
But oblivion is a great game anyways...

Posted by xeno975 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:35 AM
i hate when ppl say one console has better games... they both have good game.. that crap is gettin old man.

but anyways that cool if its gonna be better then oblivion.. but im still waitin on hearing something about elder scrolls 5.

Posted by EricBowman - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:34 AM
@zortman66,

Sounds to me like you're jealous of the 360 getting exclusive DLC.

Posted by gravy666 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:30 AM
@jare3
Not to be rude, but 360 fanboys like myself laugh in PS3 fanboys' faces when they get excited about Killzone 2.

I'm not getting my hopes up. Any normal gamer has gotten sick of Oblivion by now, and I don't see how Fallout 3 is going to be any better than Oblivion.

Posted by MutantEnemyMTL - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:29 AM
Better than Oblibion - Great! There goes a whole months worth of weekends!

Posted by Dr_Obey - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:29 AM
You're all being giant toolsheds. These games always play better on PC because console controllers fail at having a manageable UI. PC vs. Console Mass Effect, and Oblivion are proof positive.

Posted by SGAanubisSG1 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:27 AM
@zortman66; you are a moron. The PS3 has barely more graphic power then the 360. Added to the fact that the 360 has all the best games. And soon it will have all of the PS3s good games. :P

Posted by geekenstein - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:27 AM
october cant come fast enough

Posted by jare3 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:24 AM
This is going to be an awsome game And what is with everybody not liking ps3s

Posted by Senorawesome22 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:21 AM
it just makes me want to open up my window and scream: "woot"

subtle howard beale reference ftw

Posted by zortman66 - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:20 AM
If they're "really pushing the hardware of the 360", then that must mean they're barely scratching the surface of the PS3 hardware.

Good to know there's another game that's being held back by an inferior console...

Posted by DamienHell - Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:10 AM
I can see it being better