E3 News

Carmack: Apple CEO "Doesn't Care About Games"
Posted By: John Manalang - Monday, August 04, 2008 1:17 PM

John Carmack, lead programmer of Doom and co-founder of developer id Software, is a straight forward man when it comes to opinions. During QuakeCon last week, Carmack had a few things to mention about Apple's drive in gaming:

"The truth is Steve Jobs doesn't care about games. This is going to be one of those things that I say something in an interview and it gets fed back to him and I'm on his $***head list for a while on that, until he needs me to do something else there. But I think that that's my general opinion. He's not a gamer."

Yes, Mr. Carmack did go there. Even though Jobs introduced the new app store for the iPhone and iPod Touch that features over hundreds of games, Carmack still believes that Jobs doesn't "deeply get" gaming, according to his interview with EuroGamer.

He added:

"It's difficult to ask somebody to get behind something they don't really believe in. I mean obviously he believes in the music and the iTunes and that whole side of things, and the media side of things, and he gets it and he pushes it and they do wonderful things with that, but he's not a gamer. That's just the bottom line about it."

However, even though Carmack resents the Apple CEO's support for video games, it doesn't mean that he abhors their products. "I think the iPhone is a potentially extremely important platform for a lot of reasons," said Carmack in putting Apple's product up against handhelds such as the PSP. think it's a great platform for content and new talent on there," he said. Currently, id Software is developing two games for Apple's touchscreen device.

Eurogamer: "Steve Jobs doesn't care about games"

Comment(s)

Posted by ThataUFO - Monday, August 04, 2008 6:15 PM
All right I'd hate to add to my hate on apple but, this whole user-friendly-never-crashes stuff is crap. I work at a lab for a major university and we have to use Macs. Those things crash weekly. Sure one or two of them are old as hell but even the new ones screw up a lot. I've had to stay late at work a couple of times because they crashed.

Crap, did I just become a flamer. Nah, im not a virgin, so I can't be.

Posted by theg90 - Monday, August 04, 2008 6:08 PM
I lol @ the WIndows Mojave lulzvertisement on this page

Macfags: STFU, you have no worthy games
Windowfags:STFU viruses
Linuxfags: I don't know, there's nothing wrong here

Posted by ThataUFO - Monday, August 04, 2008 4:19 PM
@whereami1980

Wow dude. You spent way to long on that.

Steve Jobs: You stole windows from me.
Bill Gates: SO, you stole it from xeorx.
And cue the laugh track... maybe not ok, nevermind.

Posted by Dukefnnukem - Monday, August 04, 2008 3:40 PM
@WhereAmI1980

1.The first marketed integrated mouse — shipped as a part of a computer and intended for personal computer navigation — came with the Xerox 8010 Star Information System in 1981

2.The design of USB is standardized by the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF)

Your Welcome..

Posted by WhereAmI1980 - Monday, August 04, 2008 3:12 PM
@ThataUFO

Yup, thats why I only buy Microsoft products, because they're all orginal... nope, they didn't copy anyone.

I mean apple never came up with the mouse... nope that wasn't them... oh wait, who came up with USB ports... I know for a fact it wasn't Apple!!!!!

but why do I have a Macbook for college if it sucks???? It does everything I need it do perfectly...I mean i only play games on my consoles because I'm still in school and can't afford a good PC rig.

And I always get viruses on my Macbook, I NEVER got one when i was using a PC(and it never crashed when there was an update too!!!)

I mean I could have a killer "pie chart" if i were using Vista(nevermind the fact that even microsoft Employees think vista sucks).

sure i'll some problems with Vista but Macs/Leopard/Apple products are NEVER user friendly... so I'll be better off with a PC.

thanks for your post...

/sarcasm/

Posted by 199ALLSTAR - Monday, August 04, 2008 3:07 PM
I always wandered what the gaming industry would be like if Apple would come out with a consule. We know one thing for sure is that it would be costly, like mostly all Apple products it would be the most innovative consule ever. The graphics would be unmatched, and other consules would soon be immitating them.

Looks like a winner to me. So why hasn't it happened yet?

Posted by Arteska - Monday, August 04, 2008 2:33 PM
Have you heard about the Lindbergh baby?

Posted by ThataUFO - Monday, August 04, 2008 2:29 PM
Since when has Steve Jobs cared about anything except making money off of other peoples ideas?
Maybe if Macs didn't suck ass they would have more games and be used for something(anything) other than music. Macs/iPhones are just the new-age jukebox.

Posted by StrangeOne - Monday, August 04, 2008 2:23 PM
ahem i have an official response from the Steve Jobs camp: It Fits in and Effing Envelope! That is all.

Posted by soundbwoy - Monday, August 04, 2008 2:07 PM
Then again it dosen't matter how much of a genius Carmack is he is too lazy to program for anything other than Winblows.

Posted by cmdluke - Monday, August 04, 2008 1:50 PM
you don't buy a mac to play games. If you have a mac and want to play games, you use boot camp.

Posted by Curare - Monday, August 04, 2008 1:46 PM
Carmack is the Babe Ruth of programming wizards.
Carmack should be on Mount Rushmore along with, Matt Groening, and Steve Wozniak.
When he says it sucks it does!
(Cough in to hand), Cell Processor!

Posted by Dukefnnukem - Monday, August 04, 2008 1:43 PM
Carmack is right, Jobs is a joke in the gaming world because all he cares about how many units are sold.. not the content on them ( jail broke iphones )Carmack will continue to make software for apple, but everybody knows how hardcore the Mac gamers are. Just look at the Mac section at any computer store and be amazed by the massive amounts of games.. wait what?

Posted by WVUrook - Monday, August 04, 2008 1:34 PM
All I hear about with the iPhone lately, is how it is going to revolution the handheld gaming market, but I never hear any talk about its graphics capabilities. How powerful is the thing? What's the big deal? How many of the "hundreds" of game in the app store are worth playing? All I ever hear mentioned is "Monkeyball and others".

The PSP is essentially a PS2 in your hand; why do I get the feeling the iPhone will be a Wii in your hand... and about as useful (haven't played my Wii in 4 months).

Posted by WhereAmI1980 - Monday, August 04, 2008 1:33 PM
Someone in a high position in the big 3...

the only one that I can think of is miyamoto, and he has moved on to better things...

Posted by soundbwoy - Monday, August 04, 2008 1:30 PM
Stop B#$CHING Carmackm and just make game to work with mac and you will prove your point, till then stop griping. Most mac users aren't PC gamers mostly console gamers.

Posted by cmdluke - Monday, August 04, 2008 1:29 PM
and Bill Gates is a gamer?