Live Weeknights at 7PM ET
Welcome to TV's only source for all the stuff you care about from the coolest viral videos to the hottest new gadgets, comics and movies. Attack of the Show gets it before it gets out.

Darth Vader Says No In Return Of The Jedi

Moye
Posted August 31, 2011 - By Moye Ishimoto

The G4tv.com offices were in an uproar this morning over the news that George Lucas added extra dialogue to the climatic scene in the Blu-ray version of Return of the Jedi. Instead of Darth Vader silently saving Luke Skywalker's life from the Emperor, he now yells "Nooo!" before picking the villain up.

A representative for George Lucas confirmed the change to the New York Times. Fans here are pretty upset about the addition and I'm siding with them. The scene was equally chilling and touching with Luke begging for his father's help, the sparks flying from the Emperor's Force lightning and Vader's wordless decision to save his son's life. Now, the only thing that comes to mind when watching the clip is the Darth Vader "Nooooo" meme--not a father's ultimate sacrifice.

How do you feel about this change in Return of the Jedi?

• Phil1138

I was horrified at first. The second NO!! isn't as bad, but the first the guy must have been tone deaf as it's the wrong pitch. What frightens me is not that he added it, it's the fact that if he does change it you can bet we won't be able to swap the disc for the new edit, he will just make us buy it again.

If people really do want it changing so badly then we need a pertition, one that states also that we wish to be able to swap the discs for the version without this audio in.

Thing is loads of copies will sell even if people hate it, as it's like a drug.

Posted: September 11, 2011 5:23 PM
    Phil1138
  • Graphicsgod

Ironically I am ok with this change. It's all the other changes that have really annoyed me!! The first being the famous "Han shot first", and the annoying CG characters being added to the original trilogy. George you destroyed the first episodes, New Indiana Jones movie, and now your f'ing with the original trilogy too much!! Please just stop while your ahead.. South Park had it right on the money with this guy.. He just keeps raping and raping what we love most...

Posted: September 1, 2011 4:13 AM
    Graphicsgod
  • usercreatedevil

I'm just beyond disgusted with Jabba Lucas. We should freeze him in carbonite and send him into outer space, so he can't keep ruining the original movies. He has lost his f'n mind. Boycott Star Wars from now on.

Posted: September 1, 2011 1:13 AM
    usercreatedevil
  • bajakirby23

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! RUINING EPICNESS! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO!

Posted: August 31, 2011 8:50 PM
    bajakirby23
  • cobracjason

i can live with the occasional added alien or fixed special effects but changing anakin's ghost and hans shooting second no just give it a rest already.

Posted: August 31, 2011 6:52 PM
  • EstmtdPrpht

I thought is was bad enough when Return of the Jedi was first released on DVD Han Solo was hanging off the side of a ship trying to save Lando and instead of saying "It's alright Trust me" he says I can see a lot better, In a voice that didn't even sound close

Posted: August 31, 2011 6:31 PM
    EstmtdPrpht
  • Vashnik

I thought the "Nooooo" was already there. I could hear it mentally. Plus, it didn't even sound like Vader's voice. There wasn't that evil sounding voice coming through that breather device of his. The silence and mentality of hearing the "Nooooo" was enough for me. At least I could imitate the voice in my mind, the way I perceived it instead of some added content to do it for me.

Posted: August 31, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Draco777

This is all I have to say to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7UR82qRjow0&feature=youtu be_gdata_player

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:55 PM
    Draco777
  • AsherBlade

I have to say it doesn't make a big difference to me. Yes, it could have done without the change. But I think Lucas just wanted to humanize Darth a little at this point. It's more dramatic and touching without Darth's voiced expressions, but this change is ok with me. Lucas is an extraordinary artist. It's his creation and he can do whatever he wants with it. Maybe this was what he originally intended for this scene, maybe not, but who cares. The movies is epic. It won't change.

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:54 PM
  • kngfumstr1

Noooo.

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:51 PM
  • shdwlink5

Ya know, I'm fine with this actually. It seems fitting for me because even if you watched it before, the no was kinda implied. To me, the no just adds to the "F U emporer" moment.

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:50 PM
    shdwlink5
  • ICP420EVA

why? I was going to buy this on Blu-ray, but now that I know he has went back and added more crap that doesn't need to be there. I will more than likely never buy another Star Wars product. I am just going to have to go on eBay and find copies of the 1st vhs and order those. At least I know those haven't been messed with. Why George Why?

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:35 PM
    ICP420EVA
  • ICP420EVA

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:34 PM
    ICP420EVA
  • ChristianG13

Hmmmm,
    somethingseemsdifferent,
    But i dont NOOO what?
    =]

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:20 PM
    ChristianG13
  • metebelis3

Lucas is dead to me. All I want is the original trilogy as intended on Blu-ray and then I want nothing else to do with him. No Greedo shooting first or Han stepping on CG Jabba's tail or young Anakin as a blue @#$%ing ghost. I don't care that there's matte lines or transparent snow speeders. Stop beating a dead horse and putting whore's lipstick on it. Make something new, man!

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:19 PM
    metebelis3
  • Dem1g0dZero

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! WTF?!?!?! stop with all the stupid changes. we don't need any added content. it was wonderful and amazing just the way it was!!

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:06 PM
    Dem1g0dZero
  • djboogymonster

if he was going to change anything, how about that Carey/Leia problem in episode 4.

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:03 PM
    djboogymonster
  • GR1NG0_SU4V3

The silent "No" he says first didn't irk me too much, but the long "Noooooo!" just pissed me off. Lucas, stop touching our crap!

Posted: August 31, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Daddy51467

why is anyone suprised! The "Ultimate Edition" will have product placement...Instead of blue milk...blue moon beer!!! Actually, that works!

Posted: August 31, 2011 4:58 PM
  • BigDog48768

I was looking forward to owning these great movies on Blu-Ray, but if the original versions aren't included I will not be buying them. Its time for all of us to stop paying George Lucas to destroy our cherished memories. These movies were perfect 30 years ago, and none of his changes have done anything to improve them.

Posted: August 31, 2011 4:56 PM
    BigDog48768
  • DaveH911

I don't see the big deal...

Posted: August 31, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Angelus30

jesus christ lucas, its not your movie anymore, it belongs to all of us, leave the star wars movies alone. Stop trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Posted: August 31, 2011 3:35 PM
    Angelus30
  • rob_5000x1

Why is he doing this!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Posted: August 31, 2011 2:43 PM