Live Weeknights at 7PM ET
Welcome to TV's only source for all the stuff you care about from the coolest viral videos to the hottest new gadgets, comics and movies. Attack of the Show gets it before it gets out.

Superman Man Of Steel: No Red Underwear

Baxter
Posted August 24, 2011 - By Joseph Baxter

Henry Cavill In Superman Costume: First Photo Released!

New set photos from upcoming reboot, Superman: Man of Steel have ended up being quite revealing.

Presenting us with our first clean full-body shot of new Last Son of Krypton, Henry Cavill in his costume, the new pics, which have arrived on Facebook, show us that he'll be hitting the big screen minus his iconic red briefs. That's right, Superman goes commando! (There's a good headline for The Daily Planet.)

Check out the pics below.

We knew that director, Zack Snyder had his work cut out for him, rebooting the Superman franchise so soon after the last entry. So, it was certainly expected that he would try to mix things up aesthetically. However, it does seem that the initial pic of Cavill in his blue pj's released earlier this month contained some strategically-placed shadowing to hide the most drastic change.

One thing that has me scratching my head, is the purpose of the belt he still sports. What is it holding up? This could have been an opportunity to maybe give Supes a Batman-type utility belt to hold his cell phone or anti-kryptonite spray. (Given such a thing exists.)

We can also see a large actor in a motion-capture suit, playing a still-unidentified character. Also visible, is actress, Antje Traue in her black-caped-costume, who will be playing super-powered villainess, Faora.

Superman Man Of Steel: No Red Underwear

Superman Man Of Steel: No Red Underwear

Superman Man Of Steel: No Red Underwear

We've seen the occasional attempt to reinvent the Superman costume in the comics, sans the red undies, but this will be the first time it will be done in a live-action context. In some ways, it does make the outfit seem more practical, but at the same time, it still feels sacrilegious. We will definitely see how it goes on June 14, 2013 when the film hits theaters.

Are you feeling the new commando Supes?

[Source]

Tags: Comics, Movies

• bbsl04

no undies is fine. Batman in The Dark Knight Rises (2012) doesn't have them either...

Posted: August 24, 2011 5:52 PM
    bbsl04
  • tert51

Dear Hollywood, instead of reinventing other peoples ideas how about you come up with your own. I thought it was hard to get a job in the movie industry, obviously I was mistaken. I guess you just have to be willing to destroy other peoples intellectual property. I'm not bad mouthing this movie because I have not seen it but Hollywood has done this to way too many movies, cartoons and video games already. While I'm ranting I might as well say, please stop making every movie in 3D. And if anyone disagrees I have 2 titles for you, Step Up 3D and Glee 3D.

Posted: August 24, 2011 5:40 PM
  • tert51

In the first picture he looks like a cross between Diedrich Bader and Chris Isaak.

Posted: August 24, 2011 5:22 PM
  • jonathanhoop

well just to let you all know it wasn't them who have reinvented the iconic look but DC comics itself they released pics of the new wave of comics and they got rid of the red underwear along with a new story line on the relationship or Lois and Clark.

Posted: August 24, 2011 2:37 PM
  • ksfan37

I am less ticked about losing the red undies as I am about having to see the Man of Steel's, um, steel.

Posted: August 24, 2011 2:15 PM
  • thejustchad

every time I look at the pics it just looks, "off" to me. I don't like it at all.

Posted: August 24, 2011 2:11 PM
  • pentuplemintgum

i see you giiirlls checkin' out my trunks, i see you giiiirls checkin' out the front of my trunks, i see you giirls lookin' at my junk then checkin' out my rump then back to my sugarlumps

Posted: August 24, 2011 2:07 PM
    pentuplemintgum
  • maniacsolstice

the problem is not whether it looks good or not, the problem is that they're changing the image of an iconic figure which has remained exactly the same for decades, just because at some point some designer thought that the exterior red underwear looked silly, but lets be honest, anyone who thought like this wouldn't probably be interested in superman in the firs place.

Posted: August 24, 2011 1:59 PM
  • TruXter

Why does his Suit have scales?

Posted: August 24, 2011 1:59 PM
    TruXter
  • CBG78

I'm sorry to say DC is not gona catch up to Marvel in the movie department. Marvel has there act together and if DC thinks they are gona have JLA movie that is laughable.

Posted: August 24, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Kryptogod

dont want things to change? make your own damned movie.

Posted: August 24, 2011 1:54 PM
    Kryptogod
  • BiggRobot

This is exactly like the new superman comic costume so it's fine.

Posted: August 24, 2011 1:53 PM
  • eklypse69

Seriously, WTF is with Hollywood having to "reinvent" every superhero's costume?! The lack of sales of the last Superman had nothing to do with the costume - it was the crappy-ass lacklustre acting that did the man of steel in. Spiderman doesn't need a "re-envisioned" suit, nor does Superman, or Wonder Woman, or Captain America, STOP SCREWING WITH MY CHILDHOOD AND FOR ONCE DO ONE OF THESE HEROES JUSTICE WITHOUT HAVING TO SCREW UP THE COSTUME OR STORY!!!

Posted: August 24, 2011 1:50 PM
    eklypse69
  • martymar82

That new costume is terrible!!!!!

Posted: August 24, 2011 1:48 PM
    martymar82
  • touch

Looks fine to me.

Posted: August 24, 2011 1:33 PM
    touch
  • fyrestarter00

There is established canon.....why is there ANY need to re-invent something that has established canon that MILLIONS of people know and love and hold to be true? Superman wears the red underwear on the outside, leave it like that. Superman has his curl on his head, leave it like that. Superman gets weakened by kryptonite, I bet he wants to change that too....

If this continues, this movie is going to end up like the Green Lantern movie....

Posted: August 24, 2011 1:33 PM
  • facelessone86

They don't have a red speedo for superman cause, the singer Seal is wearing them to the beach :x. And the outfit looks good, and seems to be more based off of the new version of the man of steel in the comic book.

Posted: August 24, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Phategod

The outfit is definitely sacrilegious

Posted: August 24, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Zenjack

I have to say I'm kinda pissed. Sure the costume makes more sense but we are talking about a flying alien who prowess is exaggerated by earths yellow sun. I don't see were making a lot of sense is really all than much of a requirement.

Posted: August 24, 2011 11:41 AM
    Zenjack
  • JasonAnder

It looks fine without it IMO.

Posted: August 24, 2011 11:41 AM