Live Weeknights at 7PM ET
Welcome to TV's only source for all the stuff you care about from the coolest viral videos to the hottest new gadgets, comics and movies. Attack of the Show gets it before it gets out.

Dial-Up Slowed Down Is Creepy, Amazing.

mdalonzo
Posted June 30, 2011 - By Mike D'Alonzo

You probably aren't old enough to remember dial-up modems, but, children, there was a time that connecting to the internet was not only slow, but noisy. That noise is ingrained in the mind of everyone who had to endure it, but, thanks to awesome "slowing things down" technology, we can now hear it...700% slower!

What does it sound like?

Mix the soundtrack for Inception with some of the creepiest ambient noise you've ever heard, and it's pretty close. But ,don't take my word for it, listen for yourself! Now!

• wlum96744

I was stoked when I got a Zoom Modem going at 2400 baud rate. I had a 1200 baud modem and this one was so much faster. LOL

Posted: July 1, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Spyder_V

I tried explaining dial-up to my younger siblings and they couldn't wrap their minds around slow internet and having to connect to it. I still remember trying to "sneak" online while my parents were sleeping and hating this noise.

Posted: July 1, 2011 7:53 AM
  • m00niegam3rgrrl

The whole time I was listening to this, I was thinking of the original sound, and yeah... it IS ingrained in our poor little brains from the "dark days" when we had to put up with the sound just to visit some badly constructed websites with too many animated GIFs and an intro long enough for you to take a bathroom break.

Posted: July 1, 2011 7:16 AM
    m00niegam3rgrrl
  • EvanCR

Need to add some sounds of the Humpback whale for "vocals". Still have my 150/300 Baud modem for my (working last I checked) C-64. Who remembers notching SS/SD (that's single sided / single density for you young 'uns) 5 1/2 inch disks with a hole puncher to make 'em double sided (to hold a whopping 360K)?

Posted: July 1, 2011 7:13 AM
    EvanCR
  • Akillies072

Yeah watch "Hackers" and they talk about how badass the laptop is. Ahh memories.

Posted: July 1, 2011 6:39 AM
    Akillies072
  • tsalagiwayah

this sounds like music from some kinda survival horror game or something!

Posted: July 1, 2011 6:37 AM
  • mercilessvalek

this brings back some memories.... sorta

Posted: July 1, 2011 6:27 AM
    mercilessvalek
  • Spacey

This is great. I still remember upgrading from my 9.6 to my 14.4 external.

Posted: July 1, 2011 6:24 AM