Live Weeknights at 7PM ET
Welcome to TV's only source for all the stuff you care about from the coolest viral videos to the hottest new gadgets, comics and movies. Attack of the Show gets it before it gets out.

ThunderCats: First Trailer For The New Series Debuts

Baxter
Posted February 28, 2011 - By Joseph Baxter

ThunderCats: First Trailer For The New Series Debuts

The first trailer for Cartoon Network's revival of ThunderCats has hit and a verdict has been reached: It's epic. The labor of Japan's Studio4°C on this reinvention of the classic 80's property reveals a storyline with a pretty ambitious scope and some compelling animation. After originally being sold last year on a concept art image that was gritty and dark, the first actual image of the series hit last month, revealing a lighter, more big-eyed, anime style. Fans weren't quite sure what to make of the show, thinking that their precious ThunderCats had gone the way of Ben 10. However, while you'll never need to look hard to find a nay-saying contrarian, the general consensus is positive.

You can see more of a focus on the ThunderCats' home planet of Thundera, which, as anyone who's watched the old show knows, is destined for doom. However, the old show began with the planet's destruction and immediately jumped into the story of Lion-O and the group as refugees in space. This time, it looks like we're going to see what Thundera is all about and take in what appears to be a culture ruled by a grand empire full of majesty and pride, centered around the mystical Sword of Omens. This makes it all the more poignant when young Lion-O's time will come to wield it. The series will definitely explore the mythos to much farther depths, which is actually quite exciting.

While no date has been announced, the show should be hitting sometime this year.

Has this trailer whetted your appetites?

Tags: TV

• Illuminate88

though this looks pretty cool, I will never forgive Cartoon Network for canceling Toonami.

Posted: March 14, 2011 9:21 PM
    Illuminate88
  • Sculptortim

Looks KINDA like the original only with digital scenery and more LAME!

Posted: March 1, 2011 1:41 AM
  • that1nerfherder

Hmmm... I suppose I'm interested...

I think I'll give Cartoon Network another shot.

Posted: February 28, 2011 10:23 PM
    that1nerfherder
  • Irishlad224

@Lance3588 . . . you read minds? my sentiments exactly, BRING BACK TOONAMI!!!!!, and this is gonna be awesome

Posted: February 28, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Lance3588

You have my attention again, Cartoon Network. Now bring back Toonami! But keep it this time! Remember, the world wants more!

Posted: February 28, 2011 4:41 PM
  • JWCamp

As long as it's not boring like the original where just about every episode was essentially the same.

Posted: February 28, 2011 4:31 PM
    JWCamp
  • se7ensyn

Thundercats HOOOOO!!!......been waiting a long time for this. I've loved thundercats ever since I was a little kid. I may be 30 now but I love my anime and still like cartoons. It better be good though or nerds all over the world will be very angry.

Posted: February 28, 2011 3:00 PM
    se7ensyn
  • se7ensyn

Posted: February 28, 2011 2:59 PM
    se7ensyn
  • DSatan

Thunderkit ho? .. . .I think they should have targeted an earlier demographic - Thundercat Babies with big heads and diapers would have a lasting impact, no?

Posted: February 28, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Duskreign

Looks fantastic, though early trailers for reboots tend to oversell the awesome a tad. Worth mentioning the liberties they took with the original cast. Lion-O being teenage while still on Thundara, and Snarf not necessarily looking like a fat blob of hatred-inducing pest, for a few examples. I am very pleased that they seemed to stay true to all the original cast's powers, as well.

As long as every episode doesn't end with a group laugh or a lesson about sharing, like the original show always seemed to, I'll be satisfied. And I'm a 33 year old slacker, so I'm kind of an authority on these sorts of things.

Posted: February 28, 2011 1:58 PM