Live Weeknights at 7PM ET
Welcome to TV's only source for all the stuff you care about from the coolest viral videos to the hottest new gadgets, comics and movies. Attack of the Show gets it before it gets out.

ThunderCats Movie Footage Surfaces

Baxter
Posted February 14, 2011 - By Joseph Baxter

ThunderCats Movie Footage Surface

Did we just get a glimpse of the ThunderCats feature film? The folks at Flixist have uncovered what turned out to be test footage for the now-nixed ThunderCats reboot project, which was meant to make its way to theaters. Of course, the movie would be taken off the table once it was revealed last year that Cartoon Network would instead be reviving the franchise with an all-new animated series. The footage, provided by an anonymous source, seems to pass the litmus test of authenticity and certainly matches the style of concept art that was leaked in 2009. The brief few minutes that we get is somewhat rough CG footage depicting ThunderCats leader Lion-O horsing around in the rough rocky terrain of Third Earth, using the legendary (and apparently unbreakable) Sword of Omens to smash rocks. The movie may be sidelined indefinitely, but take a look at the footage and gauge whether or not the canceled project was something you'll regret missing.

It does appear that this movie would have attempted to weave a more complex narrative about the history of the ThunderCats and Lion-O's personal baggage. (Daddy issues are always a reliable plot device for that.) Mixed with a serious tone in imagery, it certainly had no shortage of sarcastic humor, which was a nice touch. While Lion-O jumping off a cliff while fighting with a non-diminutive version of Evil Mutant Leader Slithe may have been a little indulgent, considering that this was just meant to be test footage, I think it gave a pretty good read on the intended vision. However, that is not to say that its idea won't live on through the new series. (Even if they went more of a pastel-anime style.)

What did you think of the ThunderCats movie that never was?

Tags: Movies, Toys, TV

• greengreener

I don t understand why they are trying to change the Thundercats faces; what s wrong with the original cartoon s outlook and what s with those silly Avatar noses. Just imagine Cheetara with that nose It would be a turn off just to discover that she has fur on her chest. And seriously, Lion-O would never wear those rags. There was something emotional, spiritual, and mystic about Thundercats and the eye of Thundera that made you want more of the plot in every episode. Lion-o always took his enemies/opponents seriously. These guys do not seem to have a clue of what Thundercats is all about. I never watched Thundercats to get a good laugh; I watch it because all of the characters meant what they said. I hope that these guys realize the damage that they are doing to the plot and the character s genuine appearances. No wonder the test footage was turned down! I mean, who are these guys trying fool?

Posted: August 5, 2011 4:50 PM
  • bluewolf85

My brother really big fan Thundercats.. He's used watch late 80s
    but I was way too young.... but I still remember old thundercats.. now they are make new movie and remake new cartoon...I heard put in the cartoon network.... that's it.. all I know.

Posted: March 24, 2011 11:31 AM
    bluewolf85
  • TES

kids would have eat it up

Posted: February 16, 2011 3:43 AM
  • ravenstromdans

I don't know that I care for the flippant way they characterized Lion-o. It seems to me he was always the overly serious one amongst the team. might have proved better with continued production, but I'm glad they didn't go ahead with this incarnation of the project.

Posted: February 15, 2011 5:40 AM
    ravenstromdans
  • Isaac_Shepard

that was kinda disappointing. they really need to get better writers or change the way lion-o looks. not enough cat in him.

Posted: February 14, 2011 11:31 PM
    Isaac_Shepard
  • FogHornG36

That was so bad it gave me aids, i am getting sick of all these remakes, is there not a single new idea in the world? but i suppose it doesn't help that these people that get exited by this stuff eats all this poo up with a spoon.

Posted: February 14, 2011 10:14 PM
  • OakDread

I hope there is a lot of sarcasm involved in comments.

That looks so terrible. I am glad it got canceled.

Posted: February 14, 2011 10:08 PM
    OakDread
  • danieldupre

oh jesus... why do they have to make all the main characters into 10th grade high school kids

Posted: February 14, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Varcolac

Hope the "Ancient Spirits Of Evil" do not allow such terrible and lame production...a Thundercats film deserves a high quality production.

Posted: February 14, 2011 7:24 PM
    Varcolac
  • Destinyspell4

bad....really bad......they Did it Again RUINED another good Show.....happy cancel

Posted: February 14, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Sweet_P

thought it would be live action and, besides that, shouldn't they start with the show and from there slowly move there way up? and if it is for a show, then are it on a kids channel like cartoonnetwork or nickeldeon. avoid abc, cbs, channel 9 and channel 13 at all costs.

Posted: February 14, 2011 3:48 PM
    Sweet_P
  • Elite_mar

looks interesting i wished they actually made it.

Posted: February 14, 2011 3:27 PM
    Elite_mar
  • Lims

I would love to see more Thundercats, but as a child of the 80s - I'M GETTING TIRED OF SEEING EVERY SINGLE CARTOON I WATCHED GET MADE INTO CRAPPY MOVIES!

Ok, Transformers was pretty good. G.I.Joe sucked. X-Men, Spiderman, TMNT..... Instead of cashing in on the kids of the 80's being 30+ now with money, why not concentrate on making a GOOD one.

Sheesh! Enough already!

Posted: February 14, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Zatz

the ending of that was EPIC! aside from that if that trailer reflected the rest of the movie, im glad they nixed it it looked like crap

Posted: February 14, 2011 2:37 PM
    Zatz
  • Deathbringerrr

Wow freaking awesome Brings me back alot of years i really hope they bring this back after they see what happens with the new series it was pretty bad ass just a little better VA and we got a real good thundercat movie!

Posted: February 14, 2011 12:30 PM
    Deathbringerrr
  • darthjafo

Awful..absolutely awful. Its a good thing it got canned cause if the rest of the movie would have been that bad...well...wow.

Posted: February 14, 2011 12:02 PM
    darthjafo
  • josethetiger

Fan gasmic! Too bad its been axed...

Posted: February 14, 2011 11:59 AM
    josethetiger
  • Secretorigin

That was really bad. Animation was fine but the scene was just weak. Just really bad.

Posted: February 14, 2011 11:40 AM