AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR COMPETITION
THE INTERPRETATION AND IMPLEMENTATION OF ALL RULES ARE AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF PILGRIM FILMS & TELEVISION, INC. ("PRODUCER"). FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE RULES MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM THE COMPETITION. ALL PRODUCER DECISIONS ARE FINAL.
COMPETITION: In the American Ninja Warrior competition (the "competition"), ten competitors will be selected by Producer to travel to Japan to compete on the Mount Midoriyama obstacle course (the "Japanese Course"). The selection process will include a preliminary, semifinal and final stage, each as described in these Official Rules. The trials and tribulations of the competitors will be featured in a G4 television program entitled "American Ninja Warrior" (the "Program").
IMPORTANT: Only you are able to assess your own abilities and physical strength. You should not undertake, and Producer does not encourage, any acts that you believe will endanger or injure you or anyone else.
- The preliminary stage will occur on Saturday and Sunday, August 29 and 30, 2009 at 2861 Los Feliz Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90039 (the "Course Location"). During the preliminary stage, competitors will attempt to complete an obstacle course designed by Producer in the fastest time possible. Producer will attempt to allow as many competitors as possible to compete during each day's production period, currently anticipated to be between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. for both days, provided that such times may change for any reason, including production or safety issues.
- A number of competition timeslots (as determined by Producer in its discretion) will be provided to competitors pre-selected by Producer. The remaining timeslots will be given on a first come, first served basis. Numbers will be given out beginning at 7 a.m. each day.
- The receipt of a number does not guarantee you the opportunity to run the course.
- If you do not receive a competition timeslot on day one of the competition, you must return at 7 a.m. the next day to receive a new number if you want to attempt to compete on day two.
- Completion of the course does not guarantee you a spot in the semifinal round or a spot as a finalist.
- You may only run the course once during the preliminary stage. If you complete the course during the preliminary stage, you may be eligible to compete in the semifinal round, but you are not guaranteed a spot.
- The fastest 30 competitors to complete the course during the preliminary stage will move on to the semifinals.
- If less than 30 competitors complete the course, Producer will select the remaining semifinalists based on the remaining competitors' overall performance on the course, as determined by Producer in its discretion.
- At the end of day two, Producer will attempt to contact the top 30 competitors plus 10 alternates (based on course time) by phone with instructions regarding the Semifinal stage.
- The semifinalists will return to the Course Location on Monday, August 31, 2009 to compete on the course with additional obstacles.
- If a semifinalist does not arrive at the Course Location by the time required by the Producer, the semifinalist will be disqualified and an alternate will be selected to replace him or her.
- The fastest 15 competitors to complete the semifinal round will be eligible to participate in the final stage.
- If less than 15 competitors complete the semifinal course, Producer will select the remaining finalists based on the remaining competitors' overall performance on the course, as determined by Producer in its discretion.
- In the final round, the 15 finalists will undertake a series of training and evaluation challenges selected by a panel of judges chosen by Producer. The judges' decisions may be subjective. Judges may be eliminated, added to, or replaced at Producer's sole discretion.
- The judges will select 10 individuals to compete on Sasuke/Ninja Warrior in Japan, using the following judging criteria: (a) physical characteristics, e.g. strength, agility, speed, balance and/or endurance (75%), and (b) on-screen appeal/charisma (25%). The judges will also select 2 alternates. In the event that any one of the final 10 is unable to travel to Japan, one of the alternates (selected at Producer's discretion) will take his/her place.
- The 15 finalists must complete release forms and other paperwork which will include an authorization for Producer to complete a background investigation. A finalist may be disqualified if Producer does not obtain satisfactory results (as determined by Producer in Producer's sole discretion) from a background investigation.
If you are selected to compete on Sasuke/Ninja Warrior, you must be able to travel to Tokyo, Japan on September 10, 2009 and to remain in Japan through September 15, 2009 (or on such other dates as determined by Producer in its discretion). If you are unable to travel on the dates selected by Producer for any reason, you will be disqualified.
IMPORTANT: If you currently do not have a passport, do not apply for one. If selected to travel to Japan, Producer will use an expedited passport service to obtain a passport for you. If you file a standard passport application, it cannot be expedited later. Competitors who are unable to obtain a passport will be disqualified.
JAPANESE COURSE: If you are selected to travel to Japan to compete on the Japanese Course, you must complete and sign any release forms or other paperwork required by Monster 9 Ltd., the Japanese producer of the Sasuke television program (the Japanese version of Ninja Warrior), or Tokyo Broadcasting System, Inc., the owner of Sasuke (collectively, "Japanese Producer"). If you fail to sign such paperwork or are otherwise deemed ineligible to compete on the Japanese Course, as determined by Japanese Producer in its sole discretion, you will be disqualified from the competition. You acknowledge that Japanese Producer maintains sole and exclusive control over all aspects of the Japanese Course, and that Producer will have no authority or influence over any decisions made by Japanese Producer, including, without limitation, obstacles selected for the Japanese Course, order of competitors, date of competition, disqualification decisions or any other criteria regarding your participation in Sasuke. You acknowledge that the Japanese Producer may in its discretion repair or otherwise alter or modify any Japanese Course obstacle for any reason at any time, including in the middle of the Sasuke competition, and that neither Producer, G4 Media, Inc. ("G4") nor the Japanese Producers shall be liable to you for any such modification or any other decisions made by Japanese Producers relating to Sasuke.
OBSTACLE COURSE RULES:
- You will be briefed on safety requirements. Failure to comply with safety requirements may result in disqualification.
- Producer may at Producer's discretion stop the competition at any time and for any reason, including, without limitation, inclement weather or other safety or production issues. In such event, Producer may at Producer's discretion choose to restart the competition or take any other course of action that Producer determines is necessary or desirable for the fairness and spirit of the competition.
- Producer may at any time temporarily pause or end a competitor's run if Producer determines in its sole discretion that such competitor is not mentally or physically fit to continue. Producer's decision is unappealable.
- The official race clock starts at the sound of the buzzer.
- You must hit the red button at the end of the course to officially stop the race clock. If you complete the course but fail to hit the red button, the race clock will continue to run.
- You must complete the obstacles in order.
- You must stay on the course at all times. If you fall off any portion of the course (e.g. obstacles, platforms, walkways) at any time, you will be eliminated from the competition.
- If any part of your body touches the water at any time, you will be eliminated from the competition.
- The use of any props to aide in the completion of the course is strictly prohibited.
- If you use any portion of the course not intended for use by a competitor to complete the course, you will be eliminated from the competition.
- Each individual obstacle may have its own set of obstacle-specific rules. Producer shall provide the rules for each obstacle either verbally or in writing. Violation of any obstacle rules may result in disqualification.
ADDITIONAL RULES AND CONDITIONS
- Producer may prohibit a competitor from participating in the competition if, in Producer's sole discretion, Producer determines such competitor is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the competition by cheating, engaging in deception, or any other unfair playing practices or intending to abuse, threaten or harass other competitors or Producer's representatives.
- Your run on the course will be videotaped.
- By participating in the competition, you grant to Producer, its assigns, licensees and affiliated companies the right to use, and to grant others the right to use, your name, likeness, biographical information, photographs, voice, personal characteristics, incidents in your life, and other personal identification, as well as any videotape, sound recordings, or other audio or visual portrayals of you in any and all manner and media, now known or hereafter devised, throughout the universe in perpetuity, for any and all purposes including, without limitation, in connection with the Program or any other productions, including any advertising or promotion thereof.
- You may be required to participate in videotaped interviews and other Producer-selected activities related to the competition and the Program. Failure to participate may result in disqualification.
- You understand and acknowledge that discussions of your run on the course may be included in the Program or other productions, and that such discussions may include comments about you, your appearance, or your physical abilities that you consider humiliating or derogatory.
- You acknowledge the possibility of certain disparities in conditions not reasonably within the control of Producer, including without limitation, as a result of weather, changing course conditions, etc. You assume the risk of any such disparity and acknowledge that the same shall not be grounds for any objection or challenge, nor shall any special allowance or accommodation be made therefor, except as may be otherwise determined by Producer in its sole discretion.
- During the production of the Program, you may only wear clothing that is pre-approved by Producer. At Producer's discretion, you may be required to dress in certain street attire, athletic attire, and/or protective or safety clothing and devices. You may not (a) wear clothing that is inappropriate for primetime television broadcast or clothing that contains any brand names or logos; (b) use inappropriate language during the taping of the Program; or (c) engage in sexually explicit or otherwise inappropriate gestures or movements during the taping of the Program. Producer reserves the right to eliminate you from the competition if Producer believes you are not complying with the standards and practices as set forth above or otherwise conveyed to you.
- Producer is not obligated to select anyone as a competitor or to have any competitor appear on the Program, and Producer shall have the right at any and all times and in its sole discretion to remove or replace any competitor in connection with the Program for any reason or no reason. Even if a competitor participates on the Program, Producer is not obligated to use, exhibit or exploit the Program, or the competitor's participation therein or any part thereof.
- All production facilities are off limits to you at all times including but not limited to: the production office, TV truck, and any other production facility deemed off limits at Producer's sole discretion. You may not leave your designated area at any time unless Producer has explicitly approved and/or you are accompanied by designated Program personnel.
- YOU ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED FROM REVEALING ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROGRAM, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE COMPETITIONS, RESULTS OR OTHER COMPETITORS TO ANYONE. The success of the Program depends upon the unveiling of the Program and the results of the competitions during its premiere broadcast. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you do not reveal anything about the Program to anyone. If you reveal any information pertaining to the Program, you may open yourself up to possible legal action and other consequences as set forth in the Applicant Agreement. You cannot discuss any aspect of the Program (including other competitors or any event or outcome that occurs during production) with any person other than Producer or authorized Network personnel unless and until specifically authorized in writing by Producer and/or Network. If any member of the press contacts you, whether before, during, or after your participation in the Program, you must not speak with them unless and until you have been specifically authorized in writing by Producer and/or Network to do so.
ELIGIBILITY: To enter the competition, you must be at least 21 years of age as of August 29, 2009 and a legal resident of one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
The competition is not open to the following individuals:
- Current employees, consultants, or independent contractors of Producer, Japanese Producer, G4, and their respective parent companies, affiliated companies (including, without limitation, E! Entertainment Television, Inc. (including the Style network), advertising agencies, promotion partners, or any other entity involved in the design, production, promotion, marketing, legal review or advertising for this competition (collectively, such individuals are referred to as "Employees").
- Immediate family members of Employees (e.g., mother, father, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, grandparent, in-law, daughter or son) regardless of where they live and individuals living in the same household as Employees (whether or not related).
- Individuals who are (a) represented under a contract that could limit or impair Producer's ability to show the competitor; (b) parties to an acting or modeling contract that would make his or her appearance on a G4 or other television program a violation of any third-party rights; or (c) members of any guild or union that may prohibit such individuals from participating fully in this competition, or from allowing Producer to use or license any footage containing such individuals royalty-free, worldwide in all media now known or hereafter developed in perpetuity.
You must fill out and sign the following paperwork in order to be eligible to run the course and/or continue on to the next round in the competition:
a. Release, Waiver and Assumption of Risk Agreement and Rules Acknowledgement; and
b. If selected as a semifinalist, an Applicant Agreement, Release and Arbitration Provisions, including, without limitation, a background check authorization.
OFFICIAL RULES REQUEST: For a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope (WA and VT residents need not affix return postage) to Pilgrim Films & Television, Inc., 4730 Woodman Ave., Suite 300, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423, Attn: Jeff Thieme.
ALL DECISIONS REGARDING THE PROGRAM, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE RULES, ELIGIBILITY, CONTESTANT SELECTION, PROGRAM PRODUCTION, THE COMPETITION, AND DISQUALIFICATION DETERMINATIONS, ARE AT THE SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE DISCRETION OF PRODUCER, AND G4, AND ARE FINAL AND ARE NOT SUBJECT TO CHALLENGE OR APPEAL.
CONTESTANTS AGREE TO CONTINUE TO ABIDE BY THE CONTESTANT RELEASE AGREEMENT, ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH ARE DEEMED INCORPORATED IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY REFERENCE.
PRODUCER AND G4 RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE, ADD TO, DELETE FROM, MODIFY OR AMEND THE OFFICIAL RULES AT ANY TIME AT THEIR SOLE DISCRETION.