Top Ten Reasons Star Trek: The Next Generation is cooler than Original Star Trek.By - Posted Dec 29, 2005
10) LeVar Burton was the star of both Roots and Reading Rainbow. That’s what we call a resume!
9) Better special effects
8) It’s funny that Picard calls his first and second mates “Number One” and "Number Two.”
7) Beverly Crusher—TV’s original MILF.
6) Captain Picard didn’t need a girdle like Shatner.
5) If you get bored while watching The Next Generation, you can pretend the Enterprise is orbiting Picard’s bald head.
4) Original Star Trek is all old and stuff.
3) Better Villains: The Borg and Q kick the Klingons' and the Romulans’ collective asses.
2) Predictable “anonymous away-team guy always dies” plotline generally avoided.
1) Sheer volume: There are 178 Next Generation episodes to Star Trek's 79.